ZOAS wont attach to LR?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexrd09

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought small portion of Zoas (about 6) and cannot get them to attach to a rock... someone suggested super glue but i dunno if that's the safest thing to do?

Super glue works fine. The gel is better since it's thicker. It will cure in the water and won't hurt anything.

I think crazy glue dry's better than super glue and super glue gel beats both out. Either way it would be best to dry both surfaces before applying. You can also use a thin plastic toothpic to pierce the stalk into the liverock :)

I purchased the loctite super glue control gel and will give it a shot. will this also work with other corals

I also agree that super glue is a good option. Otherwise, I've found it to be a little easier and perhaps a bit faster to place the coral on top of the rock which you want it to attach to in a plastic cup with a few holes (e.g. many pin holes) or slits in the sides like this:
img_919631_0_fda3beed3b593d7d679eddce9ea05b48.jpg

Obviously the cup is stationary due to the weight of the rock and blocks water flow while the holes/slits still allow some water to cross the coral. IMO, this option is all but completely free of any risk and you can move the coral to the most ideal placement in the tank without having to worry about water flow as much (e.g. if your coral needs to be higher or lower in the tank due to light requirements).

Yes, that methods works fine for some soft coral like xenia, anthelia, kenya weed, etc, but if you wait for zoa's or hard corals to attach, you may be waiting quite a while. When I frag my zoa's, I chip the rock out from underneath them and then glue them (still attached to little pieces of crumbled rock) to live rock rubble.

I notice u mentioned Xenia's I am trying to figure out if Xenia are like mushrooms in the fact that u can cut them at the trunk and u will end up with two seperate individuals. I have a colony of Xenia that i purchased with a friend and we are trying to decide how to split them up. I was wondering if i was able to cut a set of trunks off from the main group?

you may be waiting quite a while.

I agree but it does work and I'm not sure if super gluing is technically any faster. Because I don't have a refugium or separate frag tank, when I get sick of seeing the cup, I simply hide it behind some rock or bury it in my substrate.

For what it is worth, I prefer trying to keep corals like this attached to small rocks or rubble because it is easier to move them around for whatever reason.

I notice u mentioned Xenia's I am trying to figure out if Xenia are like mushrooms in the fact that u can cut them at the trunk and u will end up with two separate individuals.

Yes. In fact, the coral in the cup is a "branch" of Xenia that was cut from a much larger piece. IME, the only problem with doing this is that the 'branches' seem to take a long time before they perk up again, and even longer before they begin to spread. However, it only took about a week for the Xenia in my picture to grab the rock.

I agree but it does work and I'm not sure if super gluing is technically any faster.
Well...super glue dries in about 5 seconds. ;)
I was wondering if i was able to cut a set of trunks off from the main group?
Yes you can, and soon enough you will be cursing the xenia that is spreading like a weed all over your tank. :)

Thats what Ive been hearing... I think they are worth the effort, worst case scenario i will be giving them away to friends

Well...super glue dries in about 5 seconds. :wink:

:D Got me there. I was just saying that it isn't technically attached then and can still get seperated from the rock over time. No worries though, I agree that the super glue is good.

Back
Top Bottom