Zoo hitchhiker/lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natman2

Aquarium Advice Activist
About three weeks ago I purchased a colony of yellow polyps. Last night I noticed what looks like a few very small zoos poping up on this rock. Having pretty much just started with corals there are several things I am wondering about.

First off are they actually zoos. I don't know what a new yellow polyp would look like but these don't appear to be yellow polyps. They look more like my green button polyps that reside on the other side of the tank but have a very bright orange center, reminiscent of zoos, which gave away there presence since they are so small at this point they would be easy to miss.

Second I was of the impression that yellow polyps where a somewhat aggressive coral so the likelihood of a few zoos being able to pop up and maintain on the same rock would be low.

Third, with only 260 watts PC lighting over a standard dimension 75g I thought I was well below the lighting needs of zoos.

I will try to get a photo tonight but its not likely it will help because the new corals in question are slightly smaller than one of the emoticons you see over on your left and my camera sucks.

Your thoughts on this are welcome.

It's possible you got hitchhikers. Yellow polyps won't bother zoos like they would a leather. I have them growing among my zoos without problems other than my own frustration because I don't want them there. A pic really would be necessary to determine that what you have really are zoos. How well the zoo's do under your lighting, will have a bit to do with placement as well as wattage. If the light is two low, it may cause them to loose color over time.

pic

Starting to think just another yellow

Attachments

• zoos_528.jpg
    zoos_528.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 64
Sorry to dig this post up from the dead but....

Its become unmistakable that hitchhiker is in fact a zoo. It has doubled in size since last post and has an bright orange center reminiscent of zoos.

Evidently 260 watts PC lighting is sufficient for zoos. This one in particular is near the bottom of the tank and partially shaded and is maintaining and growing.

Just wish I had some money to spend on the tank this weekend I would be down to buy a nice zoo colony.

Back
Top Bottom