Zooanthids are missing check it out its weired

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefmob

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I came home today my rock that had about ten zoos ( zoos were superglued on very well) and were ther for months they were striped of none there just the superglue that was on the base of the zoos.. I recently Added a banded serpent star, a spot beleny and a large emerald crab
Any ideas on what happened

Attachments

• image-282884111.jpg
    image-282884111.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 107
  • image-2781096914.jpg
    image-2781096914.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 102
Emerald crab dude. I never knew they would do this until some of my zoos started turning up missing just like yours. They one night i seen him sitting on a big patch of zoos plucking them off one at a time eating the whole thjng one after the other. He went through a hundred or so polyps before i finally discovered this and removed him and put him in another tank.

They are opportunistic.

No way rely? Any one have similar culprits

Yep i was stunned too. I watched him for over and hour eat one after the other. He went through 3 entire colonies of orange bam bams, rastas, and eagle eyes. One expensive meal for an 8 dollar crab. He may have also eaten some xenia however i can not confirm that.

Emeralds are either hit or miss. Some have no issues, while others have issues with them picking at corals. I tend to believe that, since they are scavangers, when they pick on some corals that they aren't doing well and that the crab is just doing his job. This of course isn't always the case. In a tank where there is little algae present, what is a crab to eat? They don't want to starve to death, so will find the next best thing.

Sniperhank said:
Emeralds are either hit or miss. Some have no issues, while others have issues with them picking at corals. I tend to believe that, since they are scavangers, when they pick on some corals that they aren't doing well and that the crab is just doing his job. This of course isn't always the case. In a tank where there is little algae present, what is a crab to eat? They don't want to starve to death, so will find the next best thing.

Yes at the time this occurred my tank had zero algae and in my experience under those conditions crabs become very opportunistic. The polyps he ate were healthy, however if he had nothing else to eat then he had no other choice. But yes it is hit and miss. Ive had about 8 emeralds and half of them were peacefull reefsafe, the other half not so much.

Back
Top Bottom