Zo's not opening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just recently got a Zo frag, 6 days ago and only one has opened. Do Zo's
need a little more time to acclimate, compared to other polyps. took my Star polyps about 5-6 days as well, so I'm not freeking out yet.

They can take time. It really depends on where they came from to where they are now. They may need more time to adjust. Might try placing them lower in the tank in a low-med water flow area and see if that helps. It could also be from the heat you mentioned in a seperate post. How high is that?

Cheers
Steve

It could also be from the heat you mentioned in a seperate post. How high is that?
83-84. Last week before I got the zo's, went as high as 86, w/o lights. Not even Summer yet :cry: Will be getting fan retro today. Had a 40gal last year and it got to 88, ambiant temp. This is supposed to be So. Cal not Texas :wink:

Thanks Steve

got bait? said:
went as high as 86, w/o lights.
Depending on the size of heater you have (wattage?) you may need to turn the heater down quite a bit. Even though set at the right range, the smaller water volume is much easier to heat so you get spikes in the temp. I have a 50w in my 5 gal nano and the thermostat is set at 65°. It keeps the tank at just under 80° with the lights off and about 80.5° with the lights on.

I would not suggest you lower it all at once. Every few hours drop the temp control on the heater a degree or two and keep monitoring it. Once the you feel it's in the range you want, be sure you check in the AM before lights on to be sure of the temp without outside interference.

Cheers
Steve

Even though set at the right range, the smaller water volume is much easier to heat so you get spikes in the temp.
That explains alot. I have noticed the heater coming on even when the water is above the set temp. I have a 24W Ebo Jager in a 12gal Nano. Will try lowering.
Was startin to wonder if my digital thermometer was defective. I know the Ebo's are pretty reliable.
It keeps the tank at just under 80° with the lights off and about 80.5° with the lights on.
How much lighting do you have? I have the standard 24W not, but was thinking about upgrade, but I need to get this whole heat issue under control. This could also partially explain my sudden algae growth.
thanks again.

steve-s said:
depending on the size of heater you have (wattage?) you may need to turn the heater down quite a bit. Even though set at the right range, the smaller water volume is much easier to heat so you get spikes in the temp.

I have to turn my heater down to 74 in my tank to keep the accual temp at 80 degrees

got bait? said:
How much lighting do you have? I have the standard 24W not, but was thinking about upgrade, but I need to get this whole heat issue under control. This could also partially explain my sudden algae growth.
thanks again.
2x9 w PC lights.

Cheers
Steve

Look at the m with a magnifying glass. If you see little clear worms than you have a small nudibranch that pesters the zoos. If you do have them you can do a freshwater dip. Is any thing in the tank picking at them?

Is any thing in the tank picking at them?
Don't see any worms. never seen anything pestering them either. I am going to move them to the bottom the tank, less light and water movement. I have them near the surface since I only have a 24w 50/50.
Thanks Darin and Steve.

Back
Top Bottom