A great oportunity not to miss if your in VA, MD and PA.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
I plan on attending do you? I have been looking forward to this for about a month now. From what I understand its not to late to signup.

The First Annual Marine Aquarium Symposium.
Saturday, June 26th
9:00 AM - 5:00PM
Oakton H.S. Lecture Hall (entrance 5)
2900 Sutton Road
Vienna VA

If you have a Saltwater Aquarium and want to learn how to maximize the experience and the fun of owning it this is the event you need to attend. Discussion panel with guest speakers. There will be an opportunity to ask Questions and get answers from the pros. Also you get to make friends with a lot of other people who understand your addiction to this hobby.

5 SPEAKER SESSIONS
DISCUSSION PANEL
FISH * CORAL * SUPPLIES * FOR SALE
PRIZES AND GIVEAWAYS
BIG RAFFLE with prizes you won't believe

This is not just another Aquarium Society Meeting; this is the Capital Area, Aquarium event of the year.

The Event runs all day with a break for lunch. It is a day that will be chocked full of fun and information. People will be bringing frag's to trade with each other. Dr. Mac of Pacific East Aquaculture, Inc., one of the regions foremost coral aqua-culturist and livestock dealers will be there. He will have a large amount of the finest coral to sell to the attendee's of the event. Other exhibitors include: Adventure scuba, National Zoo, NOAA, & MASNA.

Start saving up your money because we will have some awesome prizes: 90 gallon (reef ready) All-Glass tank & stand; Blueline E-ballasts from Champion; Adventure Scuba - open water dive certification for husband & wife / (winner and 1 family member) ($600+ value- must pass medical certification to win); My Reef Creations MR2 skimmer & 2 x $75 gift certs.; Live rock from Liveaquaria.com; $50 gift certificate from Reefermadness; 50# box of Reef Crystal sea salt from Marine Enterprises; Sea-Swirl 3/4" unit; Twolittlefishies products; Tunze products; and much much more to be listed soon.

THE MAIN SPEAKERS:

Dr. Bruce Carlson Former Director Waikiki Aquarium.
Currently Vice President for Life Sciences at the new Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta. This man is a true pioneer in the reef keeping field. He will be talking to us about Coral Diseases and the Fiji- bleaching updates/recovery, Also he will share information about the 2 major export operations down there

Adam Cesnales. Current President of PMASI (Pittsburgh Marine Aquarium Society Inc.). He will be sharing Soft Corals and Xeniidis, care and propagation.

Joe Burger (JB) One of the foremost experts on Aquarium Lighting. He will be giving us his Lighting comparisons of 250W metal halide bulb and ballast combinations.

Dr. Daphne Fautin is a professor of ecology and evolutionary biology at the University of Kansas. She also serves as Curator of the Natural History Museum and Biodiversity Research Center at the university. Dr. Fautin is an expert and author on sea anemones and corals and has been deeply involved in planning for the Census, particularly in the development of an ocean biogeographic information system (OBIS). If you keep a Clownfish with an Anemone (or want to) you need to hear her talk on Clownfish Host Anemone Interactions.

John Brandt, MASNA's Industry/Legislation/Ocean Conservation Representative. John Brandt is the Industry / Legislation / Ocean Conservation Representative for the Marine Aquarium Societies of North America (MASNA). Part of his MASNA duties includes serving as the MASNA Representative on the boards of
the US Coral Reef Task Force (USCRT), and the Marine Aquarium Council (MAC). Mr. Brandt also serves as Vice President of Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS). Mr. Brandt's presentation will focus on legislative and environmental issues on marine reef keeping.

There are a limited amount of seats so you need to register soon to guarantee your tickets:

To register go to this link http://www.wamas.org/bp/symp1.htm

Fill out the form, hit the submit button and it will take you to a payment page where you can pay with credit card or with a Paypal account.

Prices for the all day event are:
WAMAS Members Admission $25.00 per person
Non WAMAS Members Admission $35.00 per person
Non-Member + WAMAS Membership $45.00 per person
Lunch served at Symposium $7.50 per person (must be ordered at the time of registration)
Children under 16 (in attendance with a paying parent) FREE [but still need to buy their lunch]

Sounds awesome! I so badly wish I was in the states for this.. I was just reading about Dr Carlson's surge device before I saw this post!

Might be worth making this sticky!

I saw a video of his surge device on one of the outdoor tanks at the aquarium in HI. Its amazingly simple design that you could build for your home setup. If of course your tank was setup to handle a suddent surge of 20+ gals.

Back
Top Bottom