Any Jersey Shore area fishkeepers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gotta make it difficult :p

I'm in Washington Twp (Gloucester county), so more south.

There is the NJ Reefers group, but from the looks of it, you're a FW person. I have 3 FW tanks and don't know of any groups in the area.

Haha sorry. I'm up in Ocean County. And I had heard of that group but I haven't started SW yet. You'd think in a state with so much water that there would be more interest.

Hiya, I'm new to the forum but in Central NJ Area, Middletown.

Although, probably not really helpful at this time, I've been away from the Hobby for over 10 years but getting back into it.

I'm up near the New Brunswick area myself. Just got back into it, but I'm running a 46 gallon bow front, planted tank.

I've been looking for groups/clubs too, but haven't found any.

Depending on how far you want to drive, there is the Aquarium Center in Clementon. There are a few good shops up in Clifton, too. You're kinda in the middle :)

blimey...one is right near philly and the other is not far from new york...couldnt have got me more in the middle if you tried lol
thankyou for making me feel more 'out in the middle of nowhere' lol

Wow I've been away for a while sorry guys. Life threw a few curve balls at me. There's tropiquarium that's about a 20 minute drive from freehold so its not too far from Jackson I think.

I'm in Old Bridge in central Jersey. Nothing I can think of locally. There's Fish Hut in Saddle River, and That Fish Place in Lancaster, PA.
I got Most of my fish from auctions or local forum members.

I'm in Brick, I like sharkey's in Point Pleasant. Very small, but helpful!

is sharkeys a fish shop? do you have an address?

Earlier this year, I was in NJ (in May) and stumbled upon Sharkey's (3010 Route 88, Pt. Pleasant) and have to say, I was very impressed. As a veteran of the tropical fish business of over 40 years, if I still lived in NJ, (I'm originally from Long Branch), Sharkey's would be my "go to" fish shop. Mark( the owner) really knows his stuff and his fish quality well surpasses the other stores I visited during that trip sans 1 other store. If you feel like taking a trip, I also recommend Ely's Tropical fish in Florham Park, NJ (326 Columbia TPK (973)-377-0570 ) As clean and pristine as Sharkey's is, Ely's is a true hobbyists dreamland. No, the place isn't a Petsmart/ Petco brightly lit, limited variety or limited quality store. What it is is an old world, when people only kept fish and fishtanks for a hobby and not just as furniture, kind of place. I was like a kid in a candy store!!! :lol: Needless to say, I brought back fish from both of these places to my home in FL. (I drove too:D) The fish all made it just fine (y)

So if you go to either place, tell Mark or Steve (Owner at Ely's) that Andy, the Angelfish guy from Florida, recommended you to them. I seriously doubt you'd be disappointed.

As a side note: I knew the original owners of Tropiquarium in Oakhurst and I have to say, while the new store is a huge change from the old days, the fish in the store left much to desire. Granted, I was there only for a week but I was in the store 3 times in that period and saw 2 shipments of fish in the tanks. Sadly, I was not impressed :(. Buyer beware.

Hope this helps (y)

Earlier this year, I was in NJ (in May) and stumbled upon Sharkey's (3010 Route 88, Pt. Pleasant) and have to say, I was very impressed. As a veteran of the tropical fish business of over 40 years, if I still lived in NJ, (I'm originally from Long Branch), Sharkey's would be my "go to" fish shop. Mark( the owner) really knows his stuff and his fish quality well surpasses the other stores I visited during that trip sans 1 other store. If you feel like taking a trip, I also recommend Ely's Tropical fish in Florham Park, NJ (326 Columbia TPK (973)-377-0570 ) As clean and pristine as Sharkey's is, Ely's is a true hobbyists dreamland. No, the place isn't a Petsmart/ Petco brightly lit, limited variety or limited quality store. What it is is an old world, when people only kept fish and fishtanks for a hobby and not just as furniture, kind of place. I was like a kid in a candy store!!! :lol: Needless to say, I brought back fish from both of these places to my home in FL. (I drove too:D) The fish all made it just fine (y)

So if you go to either place, tell Mark or Steve (Owner at Ely's) that Andy, the Angelfish guy from Florida, recommended you to them. I seriously doubt you'd be disappointed.

As a side note: I knew the original owners of Tropiquarium in Oakhurst and I have to say, while the new store is a huge change from the old days, the fish in the store left much to desire. Granted, I was there only for a week but I was in the store 3 times in that period and saw 2 shipments of fish in the tanks. Sadly, I was not impressed :(. Buyer beware.

Hope this helps (y)

great help thankyou... :D ill certainly be paying a visit...not far from the beach also...double bubble!! :fish1:

I'm from Jackson nj I go to tropiquarium in ocean! Also this place called pet asylum but I have a 55 gallon tank with two oscars and a empty 20 gallon I just sold my fish

You may also want to try SHARKEY'S in Point Pleasant and ELY'S in Florham Park ( N. Jersey...it's worth the trip ;) ) I brought fish back to FL with me from both places. Very impressed with fish quality and their fish knowledge.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom