Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > North East & New England

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-17-2008, 07:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Anyone building glass aquarium, stand and canopy?

Hi, I am needing a larger tank, around 90 to 125 long aquarium. Would the cost of the sheets of glass be any cheaper than buying a store bought one, and could anyone build it for cheaper than the store price?

Thank you.

HereFishyFishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I am not sure on the costs, but you could probably go to a local glass cutting place and get some pricing. Are you looking at SW or FW?

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Most of the time anything that you build yourself is going to cost less then store bought, however, building a glass tank yourself is something you really need to research. It can and has been done many times with great success, but also with horrible disaster. Do some research online and you will find a wealth of information about building fish tanks of all sizes. There are sites out there that will help you to figure out the glass thickness and what sealants to use. I have considered doing it myself a few times but I was going to do the plywood tank with a glass front.

Do some research online, sorry I can't help you more I don't know any of the sites but I have seen them. They are out there.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thank you all. I can't seem to get a clear quote on the measurements. One glass place gave me an estimate for almost $3,000 for 125 tank.
HereFishyFishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
I would be very surprised if you can buy new glass for lessthan the cost of a ready built tank. If you can get salvage glass at a reduced cost, or free than it might make sense. I have built a number of tanks, although they are all smaller than 125, but the glass was free. I was talking with a guy a couple of weeks ago, and he was offered 1/2" x 2' x 4' pieces of glass for $15.00 each (had to take all the pieces and stopped counting at 15). To cut the end pieces more easily, 6 pieces would be needed, but $90 for a tank of around 120 gals is cheap, although I would prefer a longer tank of that size. Still, It would be wortwhile.
Join a fish club. Don't have one in your area? Start one.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote

build, building, canopy, glass, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com