GCAS (Greater City Aquarium Society) Meeting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
The next meeting is on Wednesday, April 4th. This meeting is traditionally one of the best of the year as it features the "Silent Auction". All manner of Aquatic stuff will be available, including tanks!

If at all possible, try to attend this one. There are a couple of NY/NJ members that have yet to attend.

Here is the info:

Queens Botanical Gardens
43-50 Main St
Flushing, NY

Membership is a whopping $20 however, non-members are welcome to participate in the auctions, speak with other aquarists and enjoy refreshments.

At last months meeting Rich311k and I saved a bag a cichlids that sprung a leak while on the auction table. :)

This weather will keep me from attending. Rain like this plays havoc with the LIE

I didn't see you Bill. Were you able to make it?

It was a pretty good auction this year for equipment. There were two 5 gal tanks, lots of 24 and 30 inch glass tops, a few NO fluorescent lamps, lots of flourescent bulbs, air pumps, and heaters. The most expensive item was a brand new dual piston compressor with manifold that went for $125. There were several brand new Whisper filters, a couple of used Emperors, and an ancient Fluval. Not too many fish - some killifish, a few African Lake cichlids, and only one betta. There were hardly any plants - mostly water sprite and hygros !:evil:

I picked up a 4 inch Heros oblongus severum and a powerhead. The severum is currently in quarrantine in a 15 gal - destined to go into the 58 gal with the angels, tetras, corys, and hatchets.

The powerhead is for my 29 gal barb/rasbora tank. I have lots of dead spots along the bottom that encourage BGA growth. I figure I'll make the tiger barbs swim for their food and I hope to get some hillstream loaches - they're supposed to like a good current.

LOL...how on earth would you missed me if I were there Andy? Unfortunately something came up at the last minute negating my attendance. :( From what you describe it seems as if the auction did not fare so well with contributed goods.

Congrats on your acquisitions, particularly the oblongus severum. I'm also sure the hillstreams will be happy with the increased current, not to mention the BGA hating it.

Psst...what ever happened to your shellie "dream" tank? :wink:

The wife and I went and was expecting to meet someone there, but it seems like you guys all chickened out. :p

There was a lot of stuff for sale, but nothing I was looking for. The only familiar face I saw was Artie from NYCichlids. He had a table full of stuff he was auctioning off. We left before the auction started, so I have no idea what the prices were like...

maxwell1295 said:
The wife and I went and was expecting to meet someone there, but it seems like you guys all chickened out.

That's right, you haven't met Andy have you? Well, we're gonna have to do something about that. :)

Back
Top Bottom