Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > North East & New England
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

GCAS (Greater City Aquarium Society) Meeting May 2nd, 2007

Please note that the meeting will not be held at it's usual location on May 2nd. It will be held instead at the Palace Diner, 60-15 Main St. This is just a few blocks from the Botanical Garden, right off the LIE.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
That sounds different. I never knew diners had private rooms

Old 04-27-2007, 11:37 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Indeed, this one does. This is where the Annual Christmas meeting is held. Very nice place.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I went. There was a surprisingly good turnout (about 50) considering the last minute change of venue.

The Botanical Gardens decided to demolish the old visitor center before the new one is ready. Great thinking, huh? While they are at it, perhaps they'll take down Shea before Citifield is completed.
Anyway, GCAS will NOT be meeting at the Botanical Gardens for the remainder of the year.

The next meeting will be held on the SECOND WEDNESDAY of June (June 13) at the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 3427 at 136-06 Horace Harding Expressway. This is the eastbound service road of the LIE just east of Main Street.

Be on the lookout for postcards from GCAS. They will inform us of future changes in meeting dates and places. We will be meeting at the VFW post for the rest of the year, but the meetings will not necessarily fall on the first Wed of the month.

Now for the good stuff.

The auction was pretty good. I picked up 8 praecox rainbowfish fry (about 1/2 inch) for $16, a 5.5 gal tank + lid for $8, a big clump of hygro for $2, a Java fern for $5, and a bag of zebra snails for $1. I won a bag of Hikari sinking wafers and a bottle of MelaFix in the raffle.

There were alot of really funky looking guppies (black w yellow tail, purple/blue), some blue acara mated pairs, lots of jewel cichlids, some rare killifish, and mouthbrooders.

Someone brought in about a dozen large crypts. There were some nice dwarf swords too.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:02 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Ok, this is the second time that I missed the meeting because I assumed no one was attending.

I guess it would be better to mention June's meeting ahead of time so as to get more exposure and possibly more committments.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to gimincorp
The meeting yesterday at Queens Botanical Garden was fun! I got some fish I had been searching for for over 2 years! Hopefully they'll adept to my 45 gallon freshwater planted...

Tags
eat, eater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com