Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > North East & New England
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-29-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Good fish shops?

Hey all...

I have a 10gal freshwater setup that has been running for over a year with only minor problems. I want to add some more unique fish to the tank. Right now I have it stocked with 2 albino cories, 2 diamond tetras and 1 male guppy.

I had a pleco, and a dwarf gourami before which were my "center pieces" but then I added 3 red-eye tetras that apparently were sick and killed my gourami and my pleco (along with themselves).

Some people have recommended a German Blue Ram but I'm uncertain where I'd be able to find one locally. I live in the North Hills off of McKnight Road and all the pet shops around have some nasty looking tanks. Seahorse in Gibsonia has good quality fish but are rather pricey.

Any recommendations? Elmers? Never been out there since its a 30 minute drive. If it would be worth it, I think I might make a trip.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

PS - We need some more 'burgh chat in here!!!

Old 03-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
I LOVE Elmers. That store is sooo great. I live in edgewood so it's only 15 mins from my house. I'd say the drive is worth it, at least check it out once so you know what your missing and whether it's worth the drive for you.

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I think I'm just going to take the drive and see what I've been missing. I was going to Seahorse on Rt. 8 in Gibsonia tonight after work but I think I might head to Elmers. Thanks for the replies guys.

P.S. - Let's Go Pens!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
So did you make it to elmers? It's really the only decent sized (non corporate) fish store I've been to. There is one on S. Highland Ave in Shady Side IIRC, but much smaller.

What do you think of the fish store on Murray in Squirrell Hill? I stopped in there and though not pretty, the guy seems to know his stuff.

Quite often I feel that I know more than the employees of some random LFS's but less so at Elmers and at this store in Sq. Hill on Murray.

And yes, go Pens, and way to go millionaire Roethlisberger.

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Thatpetplace is in Lancaster. Not sure how far that is from you folks, but it is very impressive.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

That's closer to the Philadelphia area than the Pittsburgh area, so it's not really an option for us. The catalogs are impressive, so I imagine that the store is very nice.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
It's a gigantic warehouse! I've been there twice, on my way back from Philly.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:19 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

....Continued from the Stop in and Introduce yourself thread....

I was thinking of Wet Pets in Peter's Township. My girlfriend's mom lives out there and we passed it on our way to Sonic. Not sure what all they stock, freshwater or saltwater, or how good they are. I will check it out the next time I'm out that way.

How about as far as ordering online, what success have you guys had, with which vendor? I've heard Aquabid and Liveaquaria.com are two pretty good places. Any other recommendations?
Old 03-19-2008, 05:48 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Did the Sonic open in North Strabane Township? I go (not very often) to the one at the Pittsburgh Mills mall.

Wet Pets is a very nice place. It has FW, SW, and pond stuff. Lots of good equipment and fish.

I have never ordered livestock online. If I did, Aquabid or Live Aquaria would be what I would go with. Even though I'm sure they ship with heat packs, I still would be hesitant to have livestock shipped in the winter, or even now.

For equipment, I have usually ordered from DrsFosterSmith. They have fast shipping, a good return policy, and a very helpful customer service staff if you need help with your online account or if you have a question about the products.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

I'm not too familiar with the South Hills but there is one past south hills village, on the right. I'm not sure if thats the one you're talking about or not. It's real close to I-79.

I'll have to stop in Wet Pets when I'm out there, probably won't buy any livestock since it's a good 40 minute drive home from there.

I think I'm going to purchase some low light plants for my tank from liveaquaria. They seem to be getting good reviews and have a good return policy(as you mentioned).

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com