Good fish shops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegosh

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all...

I have a 10gal freshwater setup that has been running for over a year with only minor problems. I want to add some more unique fish to the tank. Right now I have it stocked with 2 albino cories, 2 diamond tetras and 1 male guppy.

I had a pleco, and a dwarf gourami before which were my "center pieces" but then I added 3 red-eye tetras that apparently were sick and killed my gourami and my pleco (along with themselves).

Some people have recommended a German Blue Ram but I'm uncertain where I'd be able to find one locally. I live in the North Hills off of McKnight Road and all the pet shops around have some nasty looking tanks. Seahorse in Gibsonia has good quality fish but are rather pricey.

Any recommendations? Elmers? Never been out there since its a 30 minute drive. If it would be worth it, I think I might make a trip.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

PS - We need some more 'burgh chat in here!!!

I think I'm just going to take the drive and see what I've been missing. I was going to Seahorse on Rt. 8 in Gibsonia tonight after work but I think I might head to Elmers. Thanks for the replies guys.

P.S. - Let's Go Pens!

So did you make it to elmers? It's really the only decent sized (non corporate) fish store I've been to. There is one on S. Highland Ave in Shady Side IIRC, but much smaller.

What do you think of the fish store on Murray in Squirrell Hill? I stopped in there and though not pretty, the guy seems to know his stuff.

Quite often I feel that I know more than the employees of some random LFS's but less so at Elmers and at this store in Sq. Hill on Murray.

And yes, go Pens, and way to go millionaire Roethlisberger.

Thatpetplace is in Lancaster. Not sure how far that is from you folks, but it is very impressive.

That's closer to the Philadelphia area than the Pittsburgh area, so it's not really an option for us. The catalogs are impressive, so I imagine that the store is very nice.

It's a gigantic warehouse! I've been there twice, on my way back from Philly.

....Continued from the Stop in and Introduce yourself thread....

I was thinking of Wet Pets in Peter's Township. My girlfriend's mom lives out there and we passed it on our way to Sonic. Not sure what all they stock, freshwater or saltwater, or how good they are. I will check it out the next time I'm out that way.

How about as far as ordering online, what success have you guys had, with which vendor? I've heard Aquabid and Liveaquaria.com are two pretty good places. Any other recommendations?

Did the Sonic open in North Strabane Township? I go (not very often) to the one at the Pittsburgh Mills mall.

Wet Pets is a very nice place. It has FW, SW, and pond stuff. Lots of good equipment and fish.

I have never ordered livestock online. If I did, Aquabid or Live Aquaria would be what I would go with. Even though I'm sure they ship with heat packs, I still would be hesitant to have livestock shipped in the winter, or even now.

For equipment, I have usually ordered from DrsFosterSmith. They have fast shipping, a good return policy, and a very helpful customer service staff if you need help with your online account or if you have a question about the products.

I'm not too familiar with the South Hills but there is one past south hills village, on the right. I'm not sure if thats the one you're talking about or not. It's real close to I-79.

I'll have to stop in Wet Pets when I'm out there, probably won't buy any livestock since it's a good 40 minute drive home from there.

I think I'm going to purchase some low light plants for my tank from liveaquaria. They seem to be getting good reviews and have a good return policy(as you mentioned).

I had trouble registering at Aquabid.com. I emailed support about it but never heard back, which is wierd. Maybe my spam filter blocked it or somethign, oh well.

Just a little story about Elmers in Monroeville:

I had a female krib that had been in my tank a week and was constantly hiding from the male krib. She wasn't eating and was not looking good (laying on side panting) so I called Elmers and they said to bring her in, gave me a full credit and everything. I hope she made it in thier tanks. I don't know if she did, but she sure as heck has a better chance there than in my tank.

Hey guys,

Just a quick question that kind of relates to fish shops.. Have you guys seen any ghost shrimp lately? I know pet supplies plus up in cranberry has not been stocking them anymore. I tried a few other places and I cannot find any ghost shrimp.

Petsmart, petco, pet supplies plus, wet pets, and sea horse. Struck out everywhere.

P.S. - I got rid of my syno finally! My tetras can finally eat in peace!

Well that site didn't have any reviews for the places I frequent. The one place listed in Gibsonia not only didn't have any reviews, but doesn't exist anymore. The only other place close is Butler; no reviews, and is an hour drive, if its there.

Thanks for the reply roka.

You can add stores and comment on them via that website....

I know for a fact that Elmers has them, I just picked some up Friday.

Well it looks like I will be going to Elmers this week. I wanted to get a few for my tank since my syno is now gone, and my friend needs some snacks for her cichlids. We are planning on buying 20 and split them up. Thanks for the reply!

Well I actually went over to Elmers and got a 10, 5 for me and 5 for my friend. Last time I was up at the Cranberry Walmart I didn't see any, nor would I buy anything out of those tanks. Guppy tank had like 10 floaters in it and the other tanks were pitiful to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom