Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > North East & New England
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question Good LFS in North/Central Jersey?

Looking for a good LFS in NorthCentral Jersey for LR and other supplies. Can anyone recommend one?

Old 02-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
is back to save the day!

Wow, nice to see another NJ SW person. Well, there aren't many to be honest.. but the best one i've been to so far, is Allquatics 609-888-3311

When you walk in.. you may be discouraged because the place doesn't have much.. "atmosphere" to it.. but when you get back in to the SW section of the store.. it is AMAZING. They have just about everything you can think of, including tons of great quality live rock. I bought MANY coral, rock, and fish from them and have NEVER had a problem with any of the livestock. It's a great place and definitely worth checking out. However, i will advise you to be cautious and just go right inside the store because well.. the area that it is located in is not the nicest place to be. As a matter of fact, the first day i went to that store, the owner left his cars passenger door open to run inside and get some materials and when he came back his car was stolen. And this happened all within the 2 minutes that i was getting out of my car and walking through the front door when he was coming back out. So.. just be advised. But like i said, after you lock your car doors lol, and then get inside the store, you'll never go to another place haha.

Also, if i may ask, are there any specific SW stores you go to as well? I'm located in central jersey.. so i'm looking for more places.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks, that one may be a bit far for me to be a LFS- I'm in northern Somerset. The only SW LFS I've been to around here other than Petco is in East Hanover on Rt. 10. Can't recall the name, but I was planning to swing by there in the next couple of days to see what he's got.

there's a couple I've only seen their websites online but haven't visited yet:
One in Avenel and one in N. Plainfield. And some place called Red Sand in Dunellen.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to the mid atlantic regional forum.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Maybe Northeast would be more appropriate?
Old 02-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Done

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
How far are you from Northampton, PA? Something Fishy is great for corals and fish. www.toofishy.com
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Let's see I'm about an hour and 10 from there. We're out in the Easton area fairly frequently, so definitely will keep it in mind for a visit next time. Thx
Old 02-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
is back to save the day!

Yeah see.. you only know of one place near you(besides petco), and so do i.. :/ Not many in new jersey eh?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

The only places that I have found are:
Aquatic Obsessions in Avenel, good prices and friendly service the owner is on site most of the time.
Red Sand Aquarium in Dunellen, good prices on corals if he has any. they go fast. fish selection isn't great and some seem to be emaciated.
Underwater world in Roselle, dry goods selection not to big if any. I've gotten some really nice Acans there.
Ocean Gallery 2 in North Plainfield, good selection of fish, corals and other items. Customer service is a hit or miss depending on who helps you.
Pet Shanty in Scotch Plains(right down the road from OC2) never been there so I can't say.
Animals and things in Woodbridge, (up the road from Aquatic Obsessions)very big selection of dry goods, large selection of tanks if your in the market for an upgrade and such. There staff doesn't seem to knowledgeable though. Not much on corals and their fish are a hit or miss.
I might take a ride out to Something Fishy someday to see what they have. Oh BTW, there is another in central NJ, I went to it when I was a teen and had a FW tank. It was called shark Aquarium on RT 22. they have since moved and I don't know if they kept the same name or changed it. maybe someone here can chime in.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com