Good live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandown123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any one know places locally in NY city/North Jersey area with excellent quality decorative live rock. I am having ridiculous trouble locating anything of good quality with coralline growth or mushrooms/ macro algae on it. All of it is just either nothing in stock or dull, boring looking rock

Any one know places locally in NY city/North Jersey area with excellent quality decorative live rock. I am having ridiculous trouble locating anything of good quality with coralline growth or mushrooms/ macro algae on it. All of it is just either nothing in stock or dull, boring looking rock
It can be hard to find things locally at times I was extremely pleased with the coraline coverage on the rocks I ordered from Dr fosters &smith's liveAquaria website very good rock and they have a very good reputation. Live Rock and Live Sand: Live Saltwater Aquarium Rock and Sand If you give them a call you could probably even describe what size rocks you are looking for and they could set you up nicely. Just a thought

yeah but its a pretty bad bang on the shipping. I was looking into it and all, and its bad on shipping. I would need like 20 lbs.

Well this thread peaked my attention, as I'm looking for a lot of BR/LR. Maybe going a great distance to hand pick one or two pieces is a PIA for some, but methinks the fella who's fussy and wants only the right piece, will do what it takes to get what he/she wants. Let's face it, were all abit looney to do this in all it's fun and seriousness!

I'm in Southern Vermont, setting up a big reef, so a trip to the Cape, or MD is not out of the question to get 600lbs rock for my aquascape. I suppose that
once the base work was done & I was looking for a specific size type and shape, I wouldn't be looking @ a point and click web page to finish my masterpiece. I'd want to see what I was buying.

Now afaI'mic

holy crap..............must have keyed something whilst I put down my glass of milk.

I emailed & called Marco rock.... they're on the Cape.... a 2 day getaway...with fun for wife [just get away and 'do' something/ travel!!!]

They never responded........F'm.

Dr. Mac @ Pacific East in MD has a tremendous facility....he'll let you hand pick. A 7 hr. drive....over night, but visit Assateague Island....wild ponies.

I guess the bottom line is what makes you happy, and who you trust to supply you with what you need. If you're a regular @ Dr. Foster/Smith, them you expect to be treated with a top level of service.........and you should get it.

If you're lucky enough to be next door to a LFS that can and does get you want you want, then you're blessed.

For the rest, get ready to pony up for ever increasing costs of product and shipping.

Dave

I was nervous putting my faith into an online distibutor. But I got 90# for 250 dollars 90# locally cost about 650 dollars I get double the rock I would get locally for the same cost. And I can pick and choose from what I am sent. The thing was though out of the 90# about 10 pieces there was only 1 that I did not love.

Well how about a trip to PA. Take a look at Something Fishy. The are just north of Easton, PA and recently opened during the week. They used to only be open for retail on the weekends. Good selection of dry and live goods with very knowledgable staff. Prices are hard to beat too if you go there.

Good quality LR will blossom in your tank over time. The first year I was amazed at what popped up in the tank.

Dr's. F&S bought FlyingFishExpress which is where I bought my LR from. It is excellant quality rock. They still have a great selection judging from the comments I read.

Cmor

I checked out their web site....sounds like a good source. I'm going to email them to find out prices and possible discount on large order ;BR,LR,LS. Also I'll ask if hand picking is allowed.

Nancy figures $80-$100 fuel cost round trip from VT. They have weekend hours, so traffic should be bareable skirting the Big Apple.

Have you been to the store?

Thank you for your info.
Dave

I've been to the store several times. It's more of an old warehouse than a modern retail store. Weekends can be busy there too, so plan on looking around for a half hour or so till the staff can get to you. There's plenty to see in the way of corals, clams, inverts, fish and a limited selection of dry goods. They spend time with each person so you really get the personal touch. If the staff member does not know the answer the owner of the store usually does and they will go get him.
So yes, you can pick out your rocks from the tubs.

They will box everything for you in Styrofoam lined boxes and include heat packs if needed.

I would definitely call if you are looking for that much LR. You might want to buy a bunch of the base rock to lower your cost.

Make sure you have your nav system locked in or a Mapquest, Yahoo, etc, map with you. They are off the beaten path, but still relatively easy to get to.

The store is about an hour from me so I only go if I plan on spending a couple of hundred there, or if I am visiting a friend who lives in Easton. I may take a trip tomorrow :D

The store is about an hour from me so I only go if I plan on spending a couple of hundred there, or if I am visiting a friend who lives in Easton. I may take a trip tomorrow :D
Wow, you're closer to it than me...lol. It's 1hr 10 mins for me. I'm usually there once a month or so.

Cmor

Thanks for the info. We'd make sure to call ahead, so they can have a good selection. we'd send them a deposit, if the deal was sweet enough. We wouldn't expect anyone to order extra stock only to have a/the party become a no-show.

Right on with the BR. There will be a lot of rock covered as we build the scape, so why spend extra. In time it become live anyway, yes?

We'd love to bring tubs [2 100g stock tanks] if we could find a way to stop slosh from spilling...maybe plywood, or something....open to suggestions. Anyway, it'd save losing life in the rock, and eliminate all that packing. We'll see.

Tawolcott

Thnx for the link...I bookmarked it, & will puruse the sight, hopefully tonight!

Dave

Back
Top Bottom