help! I can only find pet smarts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wasteguys2000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need to find a safe LFS around the southern maine area to get my 37 gallon stocked. Anyone know a good place?

Can you still have fish mail ordered when its cold outside? And I really am not sure what kind of fish I want, this is why the LFS would help with that decision so I can see what is out there and make a few picks. But my list so far is a couple shrimp and a small crab for my son to watch then I have no decision on the fish yet.

Yes you can order fish when it's cold out. It's best to get them overnighted though, or wait till its not completely frozen outside. If it's a good shipper they should insulate the box well and use a heat pack.

There are a lot of options, some big name places like liveaquaria have good reviews, their shipping prices are high though so its best to make a large order. Aquabid is also really good just be sure to research the sellers history to make sure they are good.

A few things about mail order. As jeta indicated, Live Aquaria has high shipping costs but their packaging is unequaled. The cost of shipping is not based upon weight so agreed, buying more will be less "expensive" in the overall percentage of shipping cost to product cost. As for time of year, you are up in Maine so overnight, even with a heatpack when they first ship, isn't going to last but a few hours. If you are going to order, now is the time to do it. In a month or so, Maine will be under brrrrrrrrr temps :) and it starts to get iffy in maintaining a good temp for the shipment. For example, I don't order anything live in the high summer just due to heat. With the delivery schedule the box may get out for delivery in the early AM but it sits in a hot truck all day.

Have someone at home on day of delivery or at least don't be far away. If I have fish arriving I am at home but if I am getting something like coral, I have the FEDEX people just tuck it inside my front door. I know my delivery schedule in my area and to date, I can always time the delivery with my normal time home from work within an hour....haven't missed in three years :)

Warranty or live arrive guarantee is important. Make sure the company is willing to offer the guarantee or in most cases, you will at least get a credit at the vendor...I have yet to see anyone, including Live Aquaria, refund money.

Shipping in cold weather isn't really a problem, and if the temps are really low using 2 heat packs will compensate for that.
Shrimp and crabs aren't compatible in the same tank; crabs need to get out of the water and will most likely eat shrimp.

If you can give me a relatively close town to you, I can do an on-line search for those little mom & pop stores you might not know about. :)

I found a good one today , they have most of what I need and the owner seems to be kind and informative . I also found out it is not allowed in Maine to sell ghost shrimp and snails, but you can mail order them (go figure).

If your looking for yellow shrimp to put in your tank im selling them around your area. send me a PM if your intrested.

Back
Top Bottom