How to raise the PH level in a small aquarium such as a 6.5 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sanpam

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I changed over from a 20 gallon aquarium to a 6.5 gallon one. It seems like my biggest problem is getting the PH level to 7.0. I did a partial water change and it can not get out of the 6.4 level.
I have had aquariums before and have not had such a problem with the PH level.
Please advise?

San...

Such a small tank would be a challenge for even the most experienced keeper. Most fish will be fine in water with a pH from 6.0 to 8.5, as long as the pH is stable. The 20 G would have been much easier to maintain.

Good luck,

B

What type of fish would you recommend for me to get?

I have the opposite problem. Can you get your hands on some limestone rock for decor? It will gradually leach some calcium and act as a buffer against too much acidity. I can't use it in my high PH water because of this. PH additives seem like a bad idea. You'll be dealing with it every WC and causing PH swings, which are worse than having incorrect PH all the time.

What type of fish would you recommend for me to get?
IMO almost any fish besides an African cichlid will do well in your water.
Add nothing. The ability to EASILY change water is the difference in having few or many problems along the way.
As for fish 6.5 g is pretty small so tetras and rasboras have many small choices that could do well properly stocked .They enjoy soft water.(y)

Sundadanio Axelrodi (there are green, Blue and red colors) would work, and Boraras Brigittae aka Chili Rasbora, and many others too which get on fine with lower pH. And other micro rasboras.

Clown Killifish, (Aplocheilus annulatus) Captive-Bred will eat prepared and frozen foods, wild caught like live foods and maybe frozen to thrive until if possible to train them to regular foods.

Bottom dwellers would be Dwarf Cories
Corydoras in Miniature

Check out Killies.

Some Caridina shrimp like Crystal Red aka CRS or Black aka CBS.

This is a nice resource - Rachel O'Leary is a force of learning and great person (and she is nice too!) to support for her helping so many people with their fish care and introducing the keeping of small fish to so many. Otherwise there is lots of no cost info available too, like here!
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Freshwater-Nano-Species-Invertebrates/dp/0982026250

Back
Top Bottom