Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > North East & New England
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Looking for a good LFS in Long Island

Hi All,

Was looking for a suggestion for a good local fish store in the long Islan nyc area.

Any sugguestion would really help.

Thanks,
Frank

Old 01-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey Frank...

Options are pretty weak... I'm in Nassau County on the South Shore.. There is a shop in Merrick called Mutts and Butts.. Nice people with a decent selection.. Prices are not that great though..

Aquarium Adventures is WAAY overpriced

There is a place in Flushing called Fishtown-USA. I went this past weekend and the place was nice and the prices are REALLY good.

Example - LiveRock at Aquarium Adventures is $14.99/lb compared to $3-$4 at Fishtown.
Also, place has been in business since 1969 which tells you something.

I bought a CoralBeauty there and the guy (Noel) that sold it to me was really helpful. He pulled out some airline and Showed me how to Drip acclimate.

I also hear there is a new Reefshop out in Suffolk. I think I read it's in Manorville or Centereach.. Not 100% sure where but I read that the guy is nice too with some good deals

Old 01-23-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks,

I actually found Fish town just after I posted the initial thread. I think I'm gonna take a trip there tomorrow.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to the New york regional forum.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fishtown USA is probably the best overall for quality, service, selection, and price. Visit on weekdays - the place is insane on weekends and finding parking can be challenging too.

I really like Aquarium Adventure too. I agree with goisles1 that they are overpriced, but sometimes they have great unadvertised sales. I'm impressed with the level of service and the health of the livestock there.

Tropical Showcase on Old Country Road in Hicksville is pretty good too. They don't have a big SW selection, though.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Total Aquariums http://www.totalaquariums.com in Lynbrook isn't bad either...they have a good selection and they'll do maintenance for you if you get a big enough tank.

If you just want to get supplies online, I've used www.fishtankheaven.com a couple of times and they have some good tanks and accessories.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'm from nassau, I used to go to Aquarium Adventure but they closed. I started going to petco in carle place because a couple of the employees from Aquarium Adventure have gone there. One of them, Mark, is very knowledgeable and tries to get you a good deal (even if it means going to another store).
Old 05-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Anyone else on LI have any recommendations now that some of the above mentioned locations are closed down? I just started cycling my tank but I've been going to a few LFS's on long island to get an idea of what I want. So far the ones I like are:

Pets Warehouse in Copiague - Nice selection of freshwater fish and accessories. A bit high on their prices but not horrible

BTJ's Jungle in babylon (I think) - about the same good selection as pets warehouse and a good selection of supplies.

I can't seem to find many of the fish that were recommended for my 29 gallon tank though. I haven't seen Dwarf Gouramis or Bolivian/german blue rams ANYWHERE on long island. Anyone know a store on the island that would have these?
Old 05-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have been visiting all the private (non-chain) stores in Suffolk County for the past 6 weeks or so. The fish at Aqua Hut in Coram always look very healthy and the tanks are clean. Their marine fish are simply gorgeous and all look very well cared for. The staff there actually encouraged me NOT to buy certain fish because of my tank size, which is common sense advice but not the answer I got from a lot of other stores that seemed willing to sell me anything I pointed to. Staff is always very nice and willing to answer questions.

Magic Isle in Selden/Centereach also has fish that for the most part look healthy and they have nice (but limited selection) plants. They also have a decent selection of driftwood. One thing that bothers me is that for the past 4 weeks they have had a figure 8 puffer who is clearly sick (almost certainly ich) in a tank with a healthy puffer, and there is no indication that the fish is not for sale. A couple of weeks ago they had the lights off in that tank but they have turned them back on and the fish looks, if anything, worse than before. The kid they have staffing the livestock section is not particularly helpful - he gives 1-word answers, not sure if that's because he is a teenager or because he doesn't know anything.

I will definitely be buying from Aqua Hut when it comes time to buy fish.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

cool, i'll check out aqua hut

Tags
lfs, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com