Looking for a good LFS in Long Island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fcastrofilippo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

Was looking for a suggestion for a good local fish store in the long Islan nyc area.

Any sugguestion would really help.

Thanks,
Frank

Hey Frank...

Options are pretty weak... I'm in Nassau County on the South Shore.. There is a shop in Merrick called Mutts and Butts.. Nice people with a decent selection.. Prices are not that great though..

Aquarium Adventures is WAAY overpriced

There is a place in Flushing called Fishtown-USA. I went this past weekend and the place was nice and the prices are REALLY good.

Example - LiveRock at Aquarium Adventures is $14.99/lb compared to $3-$4 at Fishtown.
Also, place has been in business since 1969 which tells you something.

I bought a CoralBeauty there and the guy (Noel) that sold it to me was really helpful. He pulled out some airline and Showed me how to Drip acclimate.

I also hear there is a new Reefshop out in Suffolk. I think I read it's in Manorville or Centereach.. Not 100% sure where but I read that the guy is nice too with some good deals

Thanks,

I actually found Fish town just after I posted the initial thread. I think I'm gonna take a trip there tomorrow.

Thanks for the info.

Fishtown USA is probably the best overall for quality, service, selection, and price. Visit on weekdays - the place is insane on weekends and finding parking can be challenging too.

I really like Aquarium Adventure too. I agree with goisles1 that they are overpriced, but sometimes they have great unadvertised sales. I'm impressed with the level of service and the health of the livestock there.

Tropical Showcase on Old Country Road in Hicksville is pretty good too. They don't have a big SW selection, though.

I'm from nassau, I used to go to Aquarium Adventure but they closed. I started going to petco in carle place because a couple of the employees from Aquarium Adventure have gone there. One of them, Mark, is very knowledgeable and tries to get you a good deal (even if it means going to another store).

Anyone else on LI have any recommendations now that some of the above mentioned locations are closed down? I just started cycling my tank but I've been going to a few LFS's on long island to get an idea of what I want. So far the ones I like are:

Pets Warehouse in Copiague - Nice selection of freshwater fish and accessories. A bit high on their prices but not horrible

BTJ's Jungle in babylon (I think) - about the same good selection as pets warehouse and a good selection of supplies.

I can't seem to find many of the fish that were recommended for my 29 gallon tank though. I haven't seen Dwarf Gouramis or Bolivian/german blue rams ANYWHERE on long island. Anyone know a store on the island that would have these?

I have been visiting all the private (non-chain) stores in Suffolk County for the past 6 weeks or so. The fish at Aqua Hut in Coram always look very healthy and the tanks are clean. Their marine fish are simply gorgeous and all look very well cared for. The staff there actually encouraged me NOT to buy certain fish because of my tank size, which is common sense advice but not the answer I got from a lot of other stores that seemed willing to sell me anything I pointed to. Staff is always very nice and willing to answer questions.

Magic Isle in Selden/Centereach also has fish that for the most part look healthy and they have nice (but limited selection) plants. They also have a decent selection of driftwood. One thing that bothers me is that for the past 4 weeks they have had a figure 8 puffer who is clearly sick (almost certainly ich) in a tank with a healthy puffer, and there is no indication that the fish is not for sale. A couple of weeks ago they had the lights off in that tank but they have turned them back on and the fish looks, if anything, worse than before. The kid they have staffing the livestock section is not particularly helpful - he gives 1-word answers, not sure if that's because he is a teenager or because he doesn't know anything.

I will definitely be buying from Aqua Hut when it comes time to buy fish.

FYI A Pet Warehouse has opened at the old Aquarium Adventure Location in Carle Place.Believe they opened in March 2011. They have rearranged the store somewhat but have maintained most of the tanks . Prices seem to have dropped for the AA days. I enjoyed my visit

Hi All,

Was looking for a suggestion for a good local fish store in the long Islan nyc area.

Any sugguestion would really help.

Thanks,
Frank

Parrots of the world - Rockville Centre

In the Greenacres mall in Valley Stream you have a Petsmart, Petco, Petland Discounts (lost their lease to an expanding walmart) and are all within a mile of each other.
Plus a second Petland Discounts (not too bad actually) in Oceanside.

I also had great experiences at aqua hut in coram and think I encountered the same teenager @ magic isle.
Two more places: country critters in patchogue..nice selection but a little pricey and Brian's in rocky point.

jcolon said:
Parrots of the world - Rockville Centre

Wow, I'm literally right across the street from parrots of the world. I can see it from my window and I've never been in there, thought they only sold parrots.
I went in there today and it turns out that the guy who is always on news 12 and has his own tv show is the owner! I was talking to him for a bit, nice guy.

Wow, I'm literally right across the street from parrots of the world. I can see it from my window and I've never been in there, thought they only sold parrots.
I went in there today and it turns out that the guy who is always on news 12 and has his own tv show is the owner! I was talking to him for a bit, nice guy.

It has a decent fish section, which is contrary to the name of the store.

He picked out my Ferret who just died after almost 9 years....He knows his stuff and is very helpful. My vet highly recommended getting any animal from that pet store. I was told they use highly regarded breeders. My ferret was healthy as an ox until he just didn't wake up one day a few months ago :(

Brians Tropical in Rocky Point seems to be the best. High prices but good stock and Brian always goes out of his way to help you and give you advice. Great store that has been around for a long time.

Aquahut in Coram is also good to. Great prices there.

Wont step foot into Magic Isle in Centereach. Last time I went in there I seen numerous tanks with dead fish just lying around. Prices are outrageous in there as well.

I didnt have a good experience at Fish Town USA this past Saturday. I was willing to spend a few hundred dollars on a whole new 40g breeder tank setup with live plants and everything. I was in there for over an hour walking around trying to get a hold of someone, and I couldnt grab anyones attention. My girlfriend and I walked out pissed. I really wanted to start up a tank, but I'm not going to beg people to take my money.

I didnt have a good experience at Fish Town USA this past Saturday. I was willing to spend a few hundred dollars on a whole new 40g breeder tank setup with live plants and everything. I was in there for over an hour walking around trying to get a hold of someone, and I couldnt grab anyones attention. My girlfriend and I walked out pissed. I really wanted to start up a tank, but I'm not going to beg people to take my money.

I was in there about a month ago for the second time ... the first was back in Feb and that store has absolutely NO BARBS!!... uh???? The place must have what ... DOZENS of tanks ... of all sizes and NO BARBS:nono:? Well ... I shouldn't say that ... I did see 1 rather large Denison Barb in a tank. But ... if you want cardinal tetras ... there's at least 2 tank full:dance:.

As a personal request ... if anyone happens to come across an LFS that has
5 Banded Barbs could you shoot me a PM.:D

Back
Top Bottom