NJ Fish Stores?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl

Aquarium Advice Addict
Wow. I can't believe how hard it is to find a good fish store in NJ. We're in Jackson so we're pretty much center of the state and at this point will travel to just about anywhere.

The only fish store that we've been able to find that holds any water is Tropiquarium in Ocean Township. Nothing else comes even close. I can't believe there aren't more good fish stores around here. It would be great to see what other people's favorite fish stores are. Some of them I wonder how they stay in business or sell any fish. I was in at least 3 today where you could barely see the fish they did have (which weren't very many) through the green haze on the glass.

Looking forward to seeing your responses!
Phyllis

Phyllis,

Are you looking for FW or SW?

There is a decent fw store in the Pathmark'Home Depot center on 571 and Rt 9 (Toms River). If you want sw, there's a store on Rt. 9 between Rt 70 and Cox Cro Rd. Going south on 9 it would be on the left and is really an older brick ranch house.

Also, for sw, there's The Reefs on Rt.22 in Dunellen (N. Plainfield area). A bit far but worth it for the livestock.

HTH

The place on 9 is Aqua Oceans and while it used to be quite a store... now seems like such a hole. That wasa actually the store that originally got my hubby and I into SW fish. We always said that when we could afford it we'd go back there and get one of their setups. Of course now that we've gone back there they aren't what they used to be anymore. I almost rescued a yellow tang out of there because I felt so bad for it but my setup just isn't mature enough to handle one yet (it was one of the many fish I barely saw behind green slime).

I'm looking for SW. We've been everywhere that I can find between Forked River and Ocean Township. LOL. We may actually make that trek to Dunellen just to check out that fish store. We used to drive to Baltimore for dinner (a 3 hr drive) so there isn't too much in NJ that would be out of our range, lol!

I'll check out that other post (though when I first read it, it looked more like they were mostly in NY).

Thanks

Animals and things....where routes 1 and 9 meet...has quite a viriety of sw fish.

Precious Pets (I think that's the name) on 33 in Hightstown has a pretty decent sw area as well.

Sorry to hear about Aqua Oceans. They were great years ago.
Precious Pets has 3 stores; Burlington, Hightstown and Trenton. I've been to the Trenton store and they had a small selection. I was told that they get their fish in on Thursday and people pick them on Thursday and then buy them on Saturday.

The Reefs is definitely worth the drive, although a bit hard to find. It's across from D&R Boats on Rt. 22 in a small strip shopping set back from the road.

You'll pass at least 2 other shops on 22 getting there. Pass them by...

Absolutely Fish A+++

I live in New York and one day I read a post about Absolutely Fish being a great store. So my husband and I took the ride out there on a Saturday it took us over 2 hours to get there and we even got lost. But let me tell you it was all worth it. :lol: We were like little kids in a toy store, we don’t have lfs out here in NY. Its beauty in there and the workers were very helpful. One thing is that we come out with a crazy bill because we couldn’t control our self. LOL

Highly recommended.

its a nice store but they dont have a gauruntee on the livestock which sucks -

AF hands down best fish store in the Tri-State, maybe country.. I discovered something comprable to Absolutely Fish, called Hanover Pets, but all they sell is fish. Staff is nothing like AF's but the selection and size is almost equal. Route 10 East West East Hanover, in the shopping center that has Home Depot.

Absolutely Fish is where I got the Purple Tang that I currently have in QT. He came complete with ich and the gramma I got from them died in QT from some parasite (in addition to the ich). Um... I'm not shopping there again any time soon. I've never gotten ich or had any other fish die from Tropaquarium. I think I'll stick to shopping there and LiveAquaria.

Absolutely Fish in Clifton is great, as is The Shark Aquarium on Rt 22 in Hillside is great also...mostly fw, but an incredible selection.

Back
Top Bottom