Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > North East & New England

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-08-2008, 11:37 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Hi meegosh,
I think you need a total of 150 watts for your heater. Since it's a long tank, I'd use two 75-watt heaters, one on each end of the tank. I place mine vertically or slightly slanted but I keep the dial where it's easy to read and adjust.

If you are using fake plants, you don't need Eco-complete. It's a very good substrate and the only one I use. But it is somewhat expensive and it would be "wasted" if you're going to have fake plants. The moss doesn't have roots so it doesn't need Eco either. You could get regular black Estes gravel if you like a black substrate.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus
Perfect! Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was a little worried that the one, albeit larger heater, would not be enough.

I feel kind of dumb now asking about the eco since java moss doesn't even have roots! LOL! I have 50lbs of pool filter sand which is white/beige. I am going away from darker colors since I have black/multicolored gravel now. New tank is going to be more of a natural looking tank.

Now for my final question (for now) is the one AquaClear 50 enough filtration/aeration? I have two powerheads laying around that I could add one to the opposite side of the filter if necessary/beneficial.

meegosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
The AC 50 pumps 200gph (or is at least rated for that) so I think it should be fine. Especially if you're going to add additional powerheads, which you may or may not want to do depending on your livestock. (Fast or slow swimmers).

Thank you so much for all your help. I'm back into the hobby with a new vigor!

pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote

drift, driftwood, rock, rocks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com