Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > North East & New England
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was at another "Mom & Pop" store today and can now add another store to the "You really need to support this store" list.
I drove over 1 1/2 hours to get to it and thank goodness I don't have more tanks set up than I do. I went there focused on Angels but if I had the tanks set up, I would have maxed out a few of my credit cards for sure. This store was an old world fish shop and is being run by a second generation owner. The layout is a bit confusing at first and when I finished looking in the first room, I was disappointed. I thought " I drove all the way over here for this?" Then I found another room, which led to another room, which led to another room and in the last room, I finally found my Angels. After a fairly long discussion with Steve (the owner), I explained what I was doing and my plans and he immediately gave me his card and asked that I send him fish when I have some. He is seeing the same things as I have (and most of you all have) and said that he has no choice. His Angels do come from a local breeder but are not "like the old days."
So while I had to control myself and not take the bigger fish, I almost went crazy and took varieties that didn't show the traits I am looking for JUST BECUASE they were different. (I do know not to get caught up in the frenzy ) But I didn't I did pick up 2 very nice Dark marble veils and 1 Veil Koi and and a regular Koi. I have 3 more stops along my return trip so I may get more if I see nice ones plus my Sunday stop for my other fish.
So if you are looking for a fully stocked, merchandise and fish, shop and knowledgeable assistance, I highly recommend Ely's Tropical Fish in Florham Park, NJ. (You'll get the name of my other great find on Monday AFTER I pick up my fish there ) Fair warning, if you are looking for a Petsmart, Petco type setup with bright lights and huge floorspace, this isn't for you. Truthfully, I looked past the algae in the tanks, the old style glass tops and lights and other qualities that might turn a non hobbyist off. I, on the other hand, am a hobbyist so I looked at the fish. They were BEAUTIFUL!! Varieties I haven't seen in years in some cases. I couldn't believe the selection.
So my mobile fish transport setup is up and running with Ely's fish in it.
To be continued....

Old 05-27-2013, 01:56 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK, Who did it??Who got to my new store and took my fish???? lol

I went back today to get my fish and 2 were missing. Of course they were the 2 that I wanted the most (Murphy's law") but I was able to add 2 silvers and another marble to my corral. ( They were sold not dead BTW lol)
So now that I got my fish, I can tell everyone that if you are in the area of Point Pleasant, NJ, you MUST go to Sharkey's Aquarium. If you are not in the area, it's worth the drive.
I spoke again today with the owner ( Mark) and told him of my posting comments here about his store. He was flattered to say the least. So if any of you readers do make it to Sharkey's, tell Mark that Andy, the Angel breeder from Florida sent you.
Next stop, Virginia stores
Got to keep supporting quality Mom & Pop Stores

Old 05-27-2013, 01:59 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK, Who did it??Who got to my new store and took my fish???? lol

I went back today to get my fish and 2 were missing. Of course they were the 2 that I wanted the most (Murphy's law") but I was able to add 2 silvers and another marble to my corral. ( They were sold not dead BTW lol)
So now that I got my fish, I can tell everyone that if you are in the area of Point Pleasant, NJ, you MUST go to Sharkey's Aquarium. If you are not in the area, it's worth the drive.
I spoke again today with the owner ( Mark) and told him of my posting comments here about his store. He was flattered to say the least. So if any of you readers do make it to Sharkey's, tell Mark that Andy, the Angel breeder from Florida sent you.
Next stop, Virginia stores
Got to support quality Mom & Pop Shops

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com