Support Mom & Pops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy Sager

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am currently on a quest to bring back quality Angelfish to the marketplace. I am currently on a trip to NJ where I am starting my search.
Well today I started my fish search in earnest and I have to say, I was in a Mom & Pop shop in a town in NJ and was just floored. This store is what a quality tropical fish store should be for sure. The tanks were clean, the fish were fat and healthy, the prices were well beyond reasonable, the selection was better than any Big Box pet store's and I made sure to tell the owner who I was, what I did in the fish industry and how impressed I was with his store. He has some of the varieties of the fish I am looking for and I will definitely be bringing back some of his fish with me to Florida.
Once I pick up my fish on Sunday, I'll tell you the name of the store. ( Don't want anyone getting my fish before me. lol :D )

So for all those out there complaining about the big box store's quality, prices, or employees, take the time and research your area's Mom & Pop shops. You may even need to go a bit out of your area but you too may find a hidden gem like I did. I am searching 1200 miles away from my home but I'm sure you can find one closer to you ;) Mom & Pop shops are what created the tropical fish industry through teaching the hobbyist, old and new, on how to keep their pets alive. (That's what I heard this store owner doing today before he knew who I was.) Let's support those shops who want to keep that tradition alive. I sure am!!!

Happy searching and enjoy your fish (y)

I don't think this could have been said any better. I drive an hr one way just to get to mine. While there are 7 lfs between my house and work I'd much rather go to a place that I know cares about the fish and customers. If there is a fish he doesn't have, he orders it for me and occasionally at a cost to him will still sell it at the cheapest price around. I don't mind waiting a few extra days to get a fish when I know my money is going somewhere good for the fish community.

Same here, I rather drive an hour to the mom and pop store I go to then the pet co. 20 min away

Add me to the list. I always went to the same 3 places (all locally owned) but the quality and quantity was just poor. I finally found a place in downtown Albany called Davy Jones Locker, it is a GREAT place. They are some what overpriced, but I will pay for quality. Their fish are always healthy and they have oddballs and a ton of south american cichlids. I also enjoy that they setup there tanks like communities so you know what your fish will be like, not just 23 gourami shoved into a 20g tank. If anyone lives within 2 hours of Albany it is worth the trip. Tell them Ralph sent you, you might get a deal haha.

Add me to the list. I always went to the same 3 places (all locally owned) but the quality and quantity was just poor. I finally found a place in downtown Albany called Davy Jones Locker, it is a GREAT place. They are some what overpriced, but I will pay for quality. Their fish are always healthy and they have oddballs and a ton of south american cichlids. I also enjoy that they setup there tanks like communities so you know what your fish will be like, not just 23 gourami shoved into a 20g tank. If anyone lives within 2 hours of Albany it is worth the trip. Tell them Ralph sent you, you might get a deal haha.

Thanks for sharing Ralph ;)
Here's something to think about regarding prices: To keep fish in good to great condition, it takes quality foods, quality filtering systems and proper medications upon arriving to the store. All these cost money. So, is the store "over priced" or are they taking into consideration all that it took to offer that quality fish?
To me, over priced is when multiple stores sell identical items and one store sells them for a lot more than the others. I don't think you can compare the quality of the fish at the big box chains to the fish you described at Davy Jone's Locker. ( Great name BTW ;) ) And that was my point for starting this thread. One should not just go to the 2 types of stores and say that " he charges more for the same fish". Are they really the same? More often than not (and that's being generous) they are not the same. For example, the Platys I saw at this new find could eat the Platys I usually see at my local chain store in just a couple of bites. Yes they are both Red Platys but they are NOT the same fish. :nono:
Unfortunately, NJ is about as far North I am going this trip or I'd definitely be checking out DJ's Locker (y)

Just something to think about from an old fish retailer :whistle:

Haha the one I go to is called the Bermuda Triangle. They have everything from lion fish to guppies

I love my mom n pop fish store! The owners are really nice, very knowledgeable, and they are more than willing to share that knowledge. Can't count how many times I've heard the lady that runs it asking new customers if their tank is cycled or how big it is before she will net fish for someone. Not only that, but she gets to know her customers. I walk in the door and she asks how my various fish are doing, how work has been lately, how's my new car running, etc. Some stuff is on the expensive side, but the prices on fish are good. And of course I don't mind overpaying for some supplies on occasion if it means keeping a great local business around.

I was at another "Mom & Pop" store today and can now add another store to the "You really need to support this store" list.
I drove over 1 1/2 hours to get to it and thank goodness I don't have more tanks set up than I do. I went there focused on Angels but if I had the tanks set up, I would have maxed out a few of my credit cards for sure. This store was an old world fish shop and is being run by a second generation owner. The layout is a bit confusing at first and when I finished looking in the first room, I was disappointed. I thought " I drove all the way over here for this?" Then I found another room, which led to another room, which led to another room and in the last room, I finally found my Angels. After a fairly long discussion with Steve (the owner), I explained what I was doing and my plans and he immediately gave me his card and asked that I send him fish when I have some. He is seeing the same things as I have (and most of you all have) and said that he has no choice. His Angels do come from a local breeder but are not "like the old days."
So while I had to control myself and not take the bigger fish, I almost went crazy and took varieties that didn't show the traits I am looking for JUST BECUASE they were different. (I do know not to get caught up in the frenzy ;) ) But I didn't :D I did pick up 2 very nice Dark marble veils and 1 Veil Koi and and a regular Koi. I have 3 more stops along my return trip so I may get more if I see nice ones plus my Sunday stop for my other fish.
So if you are looking for a fully stocked, merchandise and fish, shop and knowledgeable assistance, I highly recommend Ely's Tropical Fish in Florham Park, NJ. (You'll get the name of my other great find on Monday AFTER I pick up my fish there ;) ) Fair warning, if you are looking for a Petsmart, Petco type setup with bright lights and huge floorspace, this isn't for you. Truthfully, I looked past the algae in the tanks, the old style glass tops and lights and other qualities that might turn a non hobbyist off. I, on the other hand, am a hobbyist so I looked at the fish. They were BEAUTIFUL!! Varieties I haven't seen in years in some cases. I couldn't believe the selection.
So my mobile fish transport setup is up and running with Ely's fish in it.
To be continued....

OK, Who did it??Who got to my new store and took my fish???? :bawl: lol

I went back today to get my fish and 2 were missing. Of course they were the 2 that I wanted the most (Murphy's law") but I was able to add 2 silvers and another marble to my corral. ( They were sold not dead BTW lol)
So now that I got my fish, I can tell everyone that if you are in the area of Point Pleasant, NJ, you MUST go to Sharkey's Aquarium. If you are not in the area, it's worth the drive. (y)
I spoke again today with the owner ( Mark) and told him of my posting comments here about his store. He was flattered to say the least. So if any of you readers do make it to Sharkey's, tell Mark that Andy, the Angel breeder from Florida sent you. ;)
Next stop, Virginia stores :D
Got to keep supporting quality Mom & Pop Stores (y)

OK, Who did it??Who got to my new store and took my fish???? :bawl: lol

I went back today to get my fish and 2 were missing. Of course they were the 2 that I wanted the most (Murphy's law") but I was able to add 2 silvers and another marble to my corral. ( They were sold not dead BTW lol)
So now that I got my fish, I can tell everyone that if you are in the area of Point Pleasant, NJ, you MUST go to Sharkey's Aquarium. If you are not in the area, it's worth the drive. (y)
I spoke again today with the owner ( Mark) and told him of my posting comments here about his store. He was flattered to say the least. So if any of you readers do make it to Sharkey's, tell Mark that Andy, the Angel breeder from Florida sent you. ;)
Next stop, Virginia stores :D
Got to support quality Mom & Pop Shops (y)

Back
Top Bottom