***Update - AA Trip to the Bronx Zoo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So far:

Me (and perhaps my wife)
BrianNY
QTOFFER
LMW80 (and Daniel)
Menagerie
Madasafish
Phyl (+ hubby and little ones.)
BubbleyBlue

total of 13 so far.

*edited - See post below.

Hey, does this conflict with MACNA? There's a chance that I'll be there instead. Have to see as we get closer.

Yep, it does conflict with MACNA, which is scheduled from the 16-18. Sorry that you may miss hanging out with us but I understand the problem (choices, choices...:)

Yeah, keep me posted.

As an FYI, in the event we don't have enough members for the Group Rate, here are the regular rates:

Gen. Admission (Adult)$12.00 (Seniors and Children 2 -12 years) $9.00

Exhibits Rates:
Children's Zoo $3.00
Skyfari $2.00
Zoo Shuttle $3.00
Butterfly Garden $3.00
Monorail $3.00
Camel Rides $5.00
Bug Carousel $2.00

There is POP (Pay one Price) admission ticket available. This is an all inclusive ticket similar to the one offered for the Group Rate:

POP Rates Adult $21.00, Seniors (65 +) & Children (2 – 12 years) $18.00
A P.O.P. Pass includes one general admission plus up to six exhibit and/or ride entries good for Bengali Express, Skyfari, Children's Zoo, Zoo Shuttle, Butterfly Zone and Congo Gorilla Forest. Camel rides are not included. Each one way trip on the Skyfari or Zoo Shuttle will be counted as one use. P.O.P. Passes may be purchased at ticket booths at all Bronx Zoo admission gates. P.O.P. upgrades to general admission tickets are available for $10 at Bengali Express, Skyfari, Zoo Shuttle, and Congo Gorilla Forest.

I've compared the Group Rates and the above rates side by side and the difference is neglible (about $1.00 less) and no "behind the scenes" tour.

If any of this makes sense, the Group Rate isn't necessary unless the tour is really wanted. If this is the case, the Group Rate Payment must be in my hands prior to the 15th of August.

Let me know how you guys/gals want to handle it.

In either case, I can get the tickets in advance (single or Group). I believe it would be beneficial to have the tickets in advance. The only issue would be if we don't have 10 now, go for the individual rates and then wind up with 10+ later on.

I think ove the next week is time enough to get a final number and determination on what type of tickets to get. Then it's just a matter of me recieving the funds.

I will be traveling alone to the city...anywhere I can meet someone - bill, andy, jon and travel to the zoo?

Start crossing your fingers that it doesn't rain on the 17th, because I will be flying back on the 18th :? So many things going on and I need to meet up with with Trevor in Seattle instead of staying through the weekend. I can't wait to see/meet everyone!

That is way cool Menagerie...fingers are crossed.

In the meantime, my wife has floated a great suggestion. For those who have been to the zoo in the past, you know that the concessions aren't really designed for having a true meal.

That being said, my wife's suggestion is that we all gather at one of our favorite Diner's which is not far from the zoo. Feed bags can filled and emptied while there and conveniently allows the tour of the zoo to be more pleasant.

I'll be back with directions to both locations. :)

Directions:

To Pete’s Diner – 570 E. Fordham Rd. Bronx, NY 10458

From Queens & Eastern LI:

Throggs Neck Bridge or Whitestone Bridge to 95W (Cross Bronx Expwy) to Rosedale Av./Bronx River Pkwy exit.
**Note: This exit is one of the many quirks about NY. You will go up ramp and the intersection of Rosedale Av. comes up immediately with a traffic light. Once you go through the intersection, you have to merge to the right to take the ramp onto the Bronx River Pkwy. Take Fordham Rd. exit (when merging onto Fordham Rd., you will see Zoo on your left. Go under overpass. The Diner is located two blocks after the first intersection on your left. You can park in the White Castle Parking lot.

From Southern Queens/Brooklyn

TriBoro Bridge to Bruckner Expwy. Bruckner Expwy to Bronx River Pkwy Exit. Bronx River Pkwy to “Boston Rd/Bronx Zoo exit. Take Bronx River Pkwy to Fordham Rd. exit (when merging onto Fordham Rd., you will see Zoo on your left. Go under over pass. The Diner is located two blocks after the first intersection on your left. You can park in the White Castle Parking lot.

From NJ

George Washington Bridge to 95E (Cross Bronx Expwy). Cross Bronx Expwy to Rosedale Av./Bronx River Pkwy exit. Stay in left lane and take circle to the right. At end of circle, merge to the right and enter ramp for Bronx River Pkwy. Take Fordham Rd. exit (when merging onto Fordham Rd., you will see Zoo on your left). Go under over pass. The Diner is located two blocks after the first intersection on your left. You can park in the White Castle Parking lot.

Via Public Transportation:

Subway

Take #2 train to Pelham Parkway Station. Walk across Pelham Pkwy and take #12 bus. Take #12 bus to Fordham Rd/Hoffman St. Diner is across the street on left…White Castle is adjacent.

For anyone who wishes to go directly to the zoo, follow the above directions to the Bronx River Pkwy. Instead of taking the Fordham Rd. exit, take the Boston Rd/Bronx Zoo exit. Follow the signs for the Zoo entrance.

My thinking is that we all gather at Pete’s at 11:00 am.

Let me know what you guys think.

Back
Top Bottom