Welcome!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klg1824

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Mike,
Wow, I'm from Boston too....do you shop at tropic isle where the prices are outragous? Do you got o petco in cambridge at least 2 times a week? What a nice little secret forum you have set up here.

:twisted: 0X

Kat

Wow i do, how did you know. Do you have pyschic powers or do you go out with my roommate? I know its one or the other. :)

-Dan

Hi New Englanders!

I'm from south-eastern NH, so I'm not really familiar with Mass. LFS's. I have heard good things from some friends about The Coral Reef Aquarium in Seekonk, I think? Never been there.

If I go to a LFS, which is quite rarely, I'll venture to Inland Reef in Nashua, NH (though they are moving locations, and have been closed for a month or so), or Little Shop of Pets in Portsmouth, NH. A recently opened store and one I know I'll end up favoring is AquaAddicts in Salem, NH. This is a small, comfortable shop, run by a very knowledgeable fellow hobbyist.

It's good to see a few "local" reefers. Anyone here a member of the Boston Reefers Society?

Hi!! I'm located just South of Boston!!

I know exactly where Tropic Isle is..in Framingham!
I know what you mean about there prices..but they do have alot of stuff....

And other place close to where I live is Petclub in W. Roxbury on Rt. 1. (the automile) I used to work year a few years ago and they have a great selection of live rock and a pretty large section of sw fish(though not as large as T. Isle)

Well I just wanted to say hi! :mrgreen:

Welcome Bonestock.

We go to the Petclub sometimes, but mostly to pet the puppies. After seeing some of their fish i would have a hard time buying them other than just for saving their lives. Just seems like they don't really care too much about them. I could be wrong though.

After boycotting tropical isle we've started to go back there. Other than Little Shop of Pets in NH, which reeflady mentioned, Tropic Isle has some of the best corals you'll find. If you're willing to drive up to NH Little Shop is really the only place in the northeast you need to go for Corals.

Its actually kind of funny. One of the people who works at Aqua Addicts (possibly even partial owner) is an old Tropic Isle employee. It was strange to see his face up there instead of back in framingham.

Aqua Addicts has some really nice stuff, but prices are up there. I suppose for such a small shop they have to be though. Very nice selection, they tend to carry some more rare stuff which is nice. Also they have a great selection of clams. They had a beautiful 6" teardrop maxima that was to die for....it also cost $300!

Anyway welcome to the board!

-Dan

FYI: the Marine Aquarium Convention of North America is happening in Boston on Sept. 10-12, for all you SW people out there. :)

Let's hear from you!

:wave: Are you from New England? If so, come on in and say "hi" and tell us what you have for fish, where you live, etc. (It's always nice to know who the other fellow fish keepers in the area are)

~ I'm from Salem, MA and right now I have a FW community tank (46g), a 2g betta tank and a 10g QT tank.

I'm from Bridgewater and I go to either Noah's Pets or Park Avenue Birds and Pet Supplies, I work there too, great selection and I get a 20% discount so its realy cheap.

Hey Happyhillbilly,
Welcome to the New England Forum! 8)
I know there are a few of us here on AA, but this regional forum seems to be very quiet....maybe we can encourage our fellow New Englanders to hang out here and compare "notes". :D

Have a wonderful holiday! :D :D :D

I'm from South Hadley Mass

I used to go to "Pet City" but they just went bankrupt. So I will most likly just go to the PetCo near the Holyoke mall from now on.

Hi

I'm in Durham, New Hampshire.

I have a 30 gallon saltwater, a 20 gallon saltwater, and a 10 gallon freshwater. To use someone else's term - I'm an " aquaholic".

I'm from Durham, NH. Let's see - fish stores....

Sea World in Salem, NH ( Awesome shop - but I have not had very good luck with the livestock)
Little Shop of Pets in Portsmouth, NH ( Just moved further down the road - tanks were not back up and running last week.
Petquarters in Newington, NH ( Carry Captive Bred and Raised - overall - very healthy)
PetCo in Portsmouth, NH ( Hit or miss )
Tri City Pets in Somersworth, NH ( Not as good as it used to be )

Hi.

I'm from Belmont, MA. (Well, it's where I'm renting this year anyway) and I do most of my shopping at Boston Tropical in Cambridge, MA. I started going to the Boston Aquarium Society meetings in the city once a month, so now I buy a lot of things at their monthly auction. It saves a lot of money.

I've been to all the surrounding stores but Boston Tropical is convienent and the man who works there (owner?) is happy to do special orders for me if I need it.

See ya'll around.

Christie

Greetings from Boston...

I live in Belmont now and I have:

10 gal with a young Betta (Storm) and 3 otos
10 gal with 3 Zebra Danios and a Dwarf Puffer (female)
5.5 gal with an old Betta (Flash)
30 gal cycling (will be breeding Dwarf Gouramis)

at the office, in Boston, I have:

6 gal with 1 crowntail Betta (Murphy) and 2 African Dwarf Frogs (Morgan & Finnegan)

I look forward to talking to Ya'll.

Christie

Hello, I keep a 20G tank with 5 platys, 3 balloon Mollies, a Betta, and a Pleco. I live in Hamilton Ma and would love to find a good LFS. Right now, I'm going to Petsmart. Are the places in NH only salt water? Any help would be great.

Hi all, I'm in Providence, RI. I have gone to a variety of places; quite frankly none of them have truly impressed me. I went to Tropic Isle in Framingham once, just because they were the closest place I could find that carries Bio-Spira.

Otherwise, I have been to PetSmart (Rt. 1 in Attleboro, MA), Petco (N. Main St., Providence), Aqua-Life (Wickendon St., Providence), National Aquarium (N. Main St., Providence), and Fish Bowl Aquarium (W. Warwick, RI).

Starting from the back, I thought the fish at Fish Bowl were horrible--however, they have ghost shrimp at $1 a dozen and they sell a variety of live foods (bloodworms, grindal worms, etc.). I will go there to get that stuff but could not see myself buying any fish there. National Aquarium sells live brine shrimp (50 cents for a baggie full), and has a big selection of wish. Quality of the tanks seems to vary. Aqua Life is a cramped little store, but overall many of the tanks seem to be in good shape--though the rainbowfish I bought from there were almost certainly sick already so that has left a bad impression on me. The PetSmart in Attleboro sometimes has knowledgable people (more than I would expect from a chain) and some of the tanks aren't half bad. The Petco is worst of all; every employee I have met there knows virtually nothing about keeping an aquarium or about the fish they sell, and many of the tanks are horrible.

Anyway if anyone else has suggestions in RI (or near-RI sections of MA) for places to shop, I am all ears!

Back
Top Bottom