WNY LFS'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BillyZ

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just going to list LFS I frequent and my personal opinions of them.

The one I go to most often is Salt Water Paradise, Main St Tonawanda, right by the river. I started going there at first because when I first set up my tank I shopped around for the LR and liked the quality of his rock the best from what I was able to find locally (which wasn't a lot). He cures his LR separately for 2 weeks before moving it into the "for sale" tank. His curing tank is in plain view as well. He has quite a wide variety of fish, inverts and corals. His prices are a "little" high but i think you're paying for quality. I have never had any sick fish or critters from him and usually get good advice. I occasionally feel like i'm getting the, "if it means you'll buy it, then yes." kind of answers from him but usually I feel he's pretty honest.

There is one I know of but haven't gone to since my initial LR research. "The Fish Place" I believe is also in tonawanda. They are a wide variety store, FreshWater, Saltwater, Ponds etc. They had a slightly wider variety but their LR looked somewhat vacant compared to Saltwater paradise and their LR was also covered in Fire Worms so I decided against it. I would like to go back and review their Livestock, I'll post up my thoughts after I get a chance to visit them.

ANyone else have any opinions about these stores or about other LFS in the WNY area? I'm VERY anxious to find other stores simply because I like variety!

Theres only 2 good ones here in Rochester. one is "The Reef" and the other is "caribean Forest". Unfortunately they dont have websites but are always well stocked on exotic fish and corals.

Found another LFS this weekend, one deffintly worth a look to anyone in the area.

Markheim Tropical Fish and Pet storeThey have a wide variety of pets and supplies. Fish, both tropical and marine, many reptiles and amphibians as well as cats, rats and hamsters etc. Their tropical fish selection was extensive. All the tanks looked clean and the fish healthy with the exception of one tank had couple dead fish in the bottom, that tank was marked as "not for sale". Their SW selection was much more limited, although it appeared as though they were setting up a few additional SW tanks, they may be in the process of expanding their SW selection.

Things I liked:
In their reptile area they had a tank/cage with about a half dozen baby turtles. It had a large sign that read, "Not for Sale" and discussed the legal prohibitions of selling turtles less than 4" in diameter and stated these turtles would be raised at the store until they were of size sufficient to sell, and there would be no exceptions.

I also noticed a couple signs scattered throughout the store exclaiming other federal prohibitions on "awarding live animals as prizes for a game" and denouncing these activities at fairs, carnevals etc and pleading for the reader to not participate at these games.

I asked a few questions i already knew the answers to to get an idea of the staff knowledge/intentions. The first fella I asked knew where to take me for what i was looking for but didn't seem to have much real world experience/knowledge. The second kid was a pleasure. He had a lot of information as well as some suggestions including some along the lines of "you could also try this other thing you can get for like 2 bucks at the dollar store to do the same thing" etc. Including a suggestion for my sister in-law to feed her new hairless rat "this brand" of dog food as it was about the same price as the "rat food" bag of seeds and equivilent nutrient analysis but you'll get much more value from it as the rat will eat all of it, rather than tossing aside the seeds it doesn't like from the mix.

I would whole heartedly reccomend this store to anyone within reach. Price wise they were typical of a LFS in this region. One thing I was looking for was a mag 7, that they actualy had on the shelf, but they wanted $90 for it. i find it for $55 a few places on line. They even had Laterite sitting on the shelf. 20oz package for $9.99, a decent price and I was impressed they even had it on the shelf. again, a good store without any doubt.

living in lockport and working in alden and goign to the fish place in Ton. i really don't mind driving. i use to go the pets plus in lockport (route 31) but after getting a couple of sick fish and haveing to go there and spend more on cure for the fish i got from them i decided to find something better. my room mate is from tonawanda and we go the the fish place all the time. i only ahve a 55gal fw tank so i haven't had to shop for lr at all but the people there are very helpful. they actually wouldn't see me one eel after i told them that i had some tetra because they would all be eaten. (which i really appreciated). if anyone ever needs prices on DIY stuff from radioshack drop me a message. i am a manager and the only place i check the forums is at work so i can check all over.

-Jim

I actually got back to the fish place a couple weeks ago. They have a lot on hand, especialy FW and Pond items. Their saltwater livestock was a little more limited but decent. The only thing that kinda bugged me was that a LOT of their tanks seemed really over stocked. I guess they can get away with it in a LFS store as I'm sure 90% of the water is shared between tanks and filtered en' mase elsewhere. Their huge HUGE tank in the back is extreemly impressive. I would love to have something like that... once I buy that warehouse to live in lol... I think i'm going to check them out for some more FW plants once I've built a light hood for my 20gal planted.

Deffinitly good to know about the radioshack pricing! I'll have to remember to keep that in mind for my next few projects :)

just found a little place in alden that was going out of business and used to sell alot of fish stuff... why i didn't know this was beyond me being like 2 store from my work and working 60 hours a week. i walked through and found an emporer400 for 39.99. from the posts i have found on this sight i know that is a good price. as soon as i find a use for it i am going to use it until then i am kinda sitting on it. but what a price!!!

*bump*

Just wanted to bump this and see if anyone has found any new shops around?

I'm feeling a bit more confident in my abilities and would like to shop around a little for some corals.

Has anyone here ever tried bringing anything over from canada? what kind of red tape or restrictions are there on what you can bring over?

I've purchased my corals from saltwater paradise on main street in Tonawanda. I was just at Markheim yesterday and they are in the process of revamping their saltwater display. It was in dire need of it. The fish there looked horrible. According to the guy working there, this will all be complete in the next few weeks.

They did have some decent corals there, but someone just bought all the nice looking ones. The good thing about markheim is that you get a punch card. After spending 100, you get $10 off.

Jim

I love "The Fish Place" they are great with their fish...and it may seem as if they are overcrowding their tanks its because they have to order 75% new fish every week because they sell out of most every week

last weekend i went to Markheim, the fish store, and salt water paradise. markheim seemed to be well stocked and in good shape. the fish store is starting to do a complete remodel so some tanks are coming down, and yes that 2000gallon tank is great. it looks beautiful. salt walt water paradise is a great salt store. he answered my questions perfectly and with some explanation. i will definitely be buying my salt fish from him when i get it up and running. i am looking at a 280 gallon tank dividing wall in my living room.
rob

I've purchased all of my fish from either him, or the petco on walden. Yes, I said petco. They've all been very healthy every time I've gone there. Haven't had one die yet.

Jim

you are right jim i have also purchased fish from the petco on walden and transit road. both stores are very clean and take care of there fish. i know you guys and girls will laugh but my initial purchase of fish came from walmart on transit in williamsville. i know the person who works there and she takes care of the fish like they are her own. i have not had one of those fish die yet and it has been 8 months, and 2 tank sizes. the other store near me is td swordtail. not had any good luck there, very dirty tanks and most fish have died from him. dont go there anymore.
rob

there is a store in the transit town plaza on transit right across main st from eastern hills mall. i do not reccomend this store at all. the last time i went in the tanks look really bad and all the fish were not even labeled properly.

don't feal bad nicracing. i got my origonal fish from walmart in lockport. horrible and i will never do it again. only had one out of 15 live.

otherwise i also do alot of shopping at the petsmart on transit in the BJ's Plaza. really clean and healthy fish.

-Jim H

When I get to go home South Buffalo, I always like to see what Seneca Pet and Supply has. They have a fairly large selection of fresh water fish. It right on Seneca St. heading towards downtown. It's inbetween the old Hills/Ames plaza and Indian Church St., have to keep your eyes peeled. It's almolst righ tacross the street from where the Caz (Caznovia Park) Carnival takes place The small staff (two owners, unless one has passed away, and a young guy) are knowledgeable and helpful. Don't let the outside scare you, that area of Buffalo is kinda run down.
Flutter

for an update on the fish store in the transitowne plaza, he has closed as did the blue lagoon on harlem in cheektowaga.
rob

There's also Marine Oasis, on Ridge Road a ways west of Rochester (in Spencerport, maybe.)

They have a really packed equiptment area, and a selection of both fresh and saltwater fish. Thier large equiptment area isn't browsable, and the coral tanks right near the door don't look too impressive, but ignore that and head into the back.

BillyZ said:
Found another LFS this weekend, one deffintly worth a look to anyone in the area.

Markheim Tropical Fish and Pet storeThey have a wide variety of pets and supplies. Fish, both tropical and marine, many reptiles and amphibians as well as cats, rats and hamsters etc. Their tropical fish selection was extensive. All the tanks looked clean and the fish healthy with the exception of one tank had couple dead fish in the bottom, that tank was marked as "not for sale". Their SW selection was much more limited, although it appeared as though they were setting up a few additional SW tanks, they may be in the process of expanding their SW selection.

Their web address is http://markheim.com I actually designed it for her. Its nothing special, she only wanted a quickie. Nothing like the one my brother and I did for http://tenecor.com

So what LFS has the best prices on fish? I haven't got to the point yet but I will be soon. I'm in the 290/blvd area. I've heard buying online can be pretty cheap.

1brent1 said:
I've heard buying online can be pretty cheap.
Most places I've looked at either have a huge minimum order, or charge a hefty bit for shipping. It doesn't seem worth it unless you're getting something already expensive, rare, or are splitting an order with another local hobbyist.

Back
Top Bottom