2nd ANNUAL SMMAS Reef Symposium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjord97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello all,
My name is Kenny and I am the Treasurer for The Southern Maryland Marine Aquarium Society. I am inviting all of yall to come to our syposium that we are having Nov 4th 2006 at the Calvert Marine Museum in Solomons MD. Please read the blurb below for info. Maybe a moderator can PIN this for me. Thank you and I hope to everyone there. Please feel free to ask me anything.

The Southern Maryland Marine Aquarium Society (www.smmas.org) is proud to host the Second Annual Southern Maryland Reef Symposium featuring noted speakers Tullio Dell Aquila, who owns ARAD LLC and Andy Howard who owns Ice Cap Inc. on November 4th, 2006. This event will be held at the Calvert Marine Museum from 12:00 noon to 5:00 pm located near beautiful Solomon’s Island. The pre-registration admission fee of $25 ($10 for students 12-18, $4 for under 12) is available until October 25th, ticket prices increase to $30 thereafter and at the door. Included in this price is admission to the Calvert Marine Museum featuring wildlife from the Chesapeake Bay, a petting area of rays, interactive displays, as well as the history of the Chesapeake. Check out their website (www.calvertmarinemuseum.com) for directions and all the activities that are available.

It is suggested that you arrive around 10:00am when the Museum opens and check in at the front desk to receive your Reef Symposium passes and admission stickers for the museum. Tour the museum and enjoy the “saltwater” tank displays of the local Chesapeake Bay (who knew seahorses lived in the Chesapeake?), there is so much to see and do here you may want to join the museum and come back again!

We are not allowed to serve lunch at the museum but there are many different venues in the local area just minutes away before the show starts at noon. We are including light refreshments between speakers as we take a break to look at the raffle prizes donated by our good friends and sponsors. The raffle will begin after the last speaker gives his presentation.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email club.smmas@gmail.com

Please send payment through PAYPAL (www.payal.com) -- to email address club.smmas@gmail.com include your name, address and phone number so you can be reached if needed, in the subject line type "SMMAS Reef Symposium tickets".

or

send a Check made out to SMMAS with the same information and addressed to:

CLUB SMMAS

22860 Maple Road

Lexington Park, MD 20653

Cool, I enjoyed the symposium last year and will try to make it this year as well. :)

I sure do hope you can make it. I also hope to get to word out to alot more people. We have 3 clubs that have members that are going to come. We are looking at alot more people to show up, and hoping that haveing Tullio will boost some peoples attention. Along with 1 more speaker that I will release his name once we get him locked him. Also going to have an awsome raffle with some great prizes.

we got our second speaker, Andy Howard who owns Ice Cap is going to be joing us at this years syposium, and will be giving a great speech.

kjord97 said:
we got our second speaker, Andy Howard who owns Ice Cap is going to be joing us at this years syposium, and will be giving a great speech.

Any idea what the topics will be for these two speakers? Just curious as I've never heard of either of them. :oops:

*edit*
I did a search and found who Tullio Dell Aquila is. So, both are lighting specific professionals. Will both talks then be based on lighting?

Kind of a stupid question, but what exactly goes on there. I figure a speaker or two and what else? Do they have porducts to sell, if so what?

roka64 said:
Kind of a stupid question, but what exactly goes on there. I figure a speaker or two and what else? Do they have porducts to sell, if so what?

Ask Fluff, she came last year. This year is going to be even bigger and better. Last year was are first year and it was hard to get the word out. Not a huge crowd showed up.

This year though we have 4 clubs helping us and alot more people comming.

I will be posting more info as we have it ready to be put out. There will be a raffle list comming soon as long with a bio of our speakers.

What goes on at the symposium.

1 We have 2 great speakers that will each talk about 90 min on a subject they perfer. Tullio will be talking about lighting systems, and Howard will be discussing Reef Tank setups.

Rumor has it that Tullio will be bringing some of is NEW LED FULL SPECTRUME LIGHTING that just came out 3 weeks ago.

2 There is a huge raffel. Every ticket is $1 and there is usally about 15 prizes donated from our sponsors. They range from equipment thru gift certificates.

3 we serve some nice snacks

4 you get to visit the Calvert Marine Museum, which is included in the ticket price.

5 We will have 2 vendors selling corals and fish. ( last year we only had 1, 1 vendor did not show)

If there is anything else you need to ask go ahead. i hope to see you there.

Sounds very interesting. I am thinking of possibly going! Thanks for the info.

Just a FYI Tickets are now for sell, please visit the website www.smmas.org for details and links to where to purchase. Thank you all and hope to see you there.

Kenny
SMMAS Treasurer

ALL,
There is 5 days left to purchase tickets on paypal at the discounted price of $ 25 for registering early. After the 25th of October, tickets will be $30 and can be purchased online at paypal or at the front door. If you think you will be attending, and will be paying at the door, please give me your name and I will put it on a list to have everything ready. We will have 2 vendors with corals and fish, George Swab the president of CMAS ( Cheasapeak Marine Aquarium Society) will have a booth and Reef Chief of HRRC (Hampton Roads Reef Club) in Virginia. You can visit Reef Chief online at www.reefchief.us to check out his goods. We are all very excited to have the following guest speakers Tullio Del Aquilla and Andy Howard to be in attendance. Tullio is going to speaking about Lighting, especially about the NEW LED lighting that his company has been researching. Andy will be speaking about maintaining Reef Tanks. The raffle lists is growing, and remember that all raffle tickets are $ 1. I hope to see all of you there in 2 weeks.

how come the forums have all the words to the right side so I can not read.

Reef Symposium Update (posted November 1, 2006)

Hey Folks! There has been a little twist in our plans for this Saturday. Tullio won’t be able to make the show due to unforeseen business matters overseas. He has apologized more than any man should and we will certainly reschedule him for our next big event. The new and exciting demonstrations he had planned to show us will be there however and will be shown by Andy Howard.

Our good friend, Steven Pro from the Pittsburg Marine Aquarium Society has agreed to help us out by filling in for Tullio and will be our lead off speaker; his talk will be on fish diseases and cures. This will not be the same talk he will be giving at the CMAS meeting Saturday evening in Baltimore. For those that aren’t familiar with Steven, he owns an Aquarium Service business in the Pittsburg area and is an expert in saltwater animal care. He has written articles for several major saltwater publications and has spoken at MACNA and IMAC as well as various clubs throughout the country.

The raffle items are coming in pretty quick, here is a list of what we have so far…

• 2 sets of SeaChem chemicals
• Top off unit from Top-off.com
• Digital Ph meter
• Dr. Foster and Smith $25 Gift Certificate
• Dr. Mac Pacific East $25 Gift Certificate (2 each)
• Kid’s tanks 2 each (2.5 and 5 gallons) w/ light and power filter
• Ick medication from No Sick Fish
• Aquarium Systems 3 stage power filter for 30 gallon tank
• Aquariums Systems swing arm Hydrometer
• Hardback book, “Damsel fish of the World”
• That Fish Place $20 Gift Certificates (2 each)
• SMMAS club Clock
• 175 Watt MH Bulb
• Squid with hardware
• ATC Refractometer
• Jebo Protein Skimmer for 150 gallon tank
• Refuge 24 watt light (13”)
• Jebo 13 watt UV sterilizer
• 700 gallon per hour submersible pump
• 250 or 400 watt MH light setup (waiting on ballest)
• Tunze Turbelle Nanostream (2 each)
• Tunze surprise box (we have no idea what is inside)

Back
Top Bottom