Aquariums Unlimited and Dog Gone Pets wasted trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roka64

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just want to hop on what Fluff says about these two, best thing about them...they are open on Sunday and are about 3 minutes from each other:

Aquariums Unlimited
Berkeley Plaza Shopping Center
Martinsburg, WV 25401
1-304-263-0388
This place smells nice, but is a dump. I picked up two fish from the floor and put them back in their tank (I know, just feeder fish, but they should at least have a chance). They had about 3-4 tanks of SW fish with a total of about 6fish, at least the tanks I could see into. They had some good LR if you want to pay $12.99/Lbs!!! The girl working there didn't know anything about anything. I wouldn't waste a trip up there....Well, they had a lot of FW tanks (but I don't know anything about those).

Dog Gone Pets
55 Meadow Ln
Martinsburg, WV 25401
(304) 263-1771
The place is cluttered, the people there were nice and they had some interesting pets. Only about 20ish fish tanks, all FW (so I can't help there). They did have some neat decorations. I did get to see a 210Gallon tank, only $1100!!!.

I think I'll stick w/my LFS, at least she knows what she is talking about and won't try to sell me anything.

PS.
I am going to Philly tomorow night and plan on stopping by thatpetplace on my way back, on Friday. I think I'll get about 30-40 more Lbs of LR on my way...
So, there is my run down (of the rundowns...)

+++EDIT+++
I just reread my post and edited my terrible grammer and spelling. Sorry about that.

Another PS. thatpetplace was awesome, it seemed like they had more in their tanks than on their website.

LOL I'm glad you got a chance to check those two places out. This is all I have locally so you can see why I travel like I do for fish/pet supplies. :D
Have fun at ThatPetPlace. That place is awesome. :)

lol i feel u there roka . i went to that fish store in WV called aquariums unlimited also and boy i walked in and walked right out. the smell almost killed me. poor fish. i hate it when poeple dont take care of the fish. fish are friends not food lol . again bad place

Frogspawn said:
lol i feel u there roka . i went to that fish store in WV called aquariums unlimited also and boy i walked in and walked right out. the smell almost killed me. poor fish. i hate it when poeple dont take care of the fish. fish are friends not food lol . again bad place
If you went out of there and took a right, the other place was around the bend on the left. Nice people, cluttered store and only FW fish.

Dog Gone Pets sells painted and tattooed fish. Last time I was there they had four different types of painted and tattooed fish (parrots, barbs, tetras even platies). Some of them had already died, some were drifting near death in murky water. I had a few choice words to say to them on it and haven't been back. They don't know anything about the fish they sell and everytime I've been there, there were several tanks of fish with ich and/or velvet. Their reptiles aren't kept much better in inappropriate enclosures and while I was there last they had african rats with the worse case of mange I'd ever seen. The one was so bad it's eyes were swollen shut. They sell a few exotic small animals and to me the place is more like a pathetic, poorly managed small zoo than a pet store. Doesn't matter how nice the help is if the animals are suffering. :(

Aquariums Unlimited is going through a change right now with ownership (one of the partners bailed). I've seen this happen three times already since I moved to WV but it never gets any better. I refuse to buy anything from them except bugs for my reptiles if I'm desperately in need while I waiting for my shipment comes in.

Both of these places depress me big time and I would rather drive three hours to buy what I need than to buy anything from either of them.

*edited to add*
P.S.
Oh, and it's only been about two weeks since I was at that DGP's. And as an FYI for those masochist who want to check it out, they have moved a little bit down the road from their old location. They are now on Eagle School Rd.
And, Aqua. Ulmtd, the only person who had any idea about fish is the partner who left.

It's hard to believe they are still in business, maybe because they are the only stores local to that area.

Back
Top Bottom