Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic & the Virginia's
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2004, 11:21 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

And the Jack Russell terrier nipping at your heels....

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 09:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
ooh...that's kinda near my office (by brandermill)

-j

Old 10-02-2004, 12:09 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

FYI, I went to Fish Tales today and they still have some tanks not set up. They have a pretty good selection of freshie stuff, and what looks like reasonable prices. They only have a couple salt tanks (I saw a shipment of percs come in today, they were less than an inch long....so cute), but it looks like they're working on maybe a dozen more salt tanks.

-j
Old 10-02-2004, 12:16 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks for the update! It is so cool to know what's what before taking a drive over.

Today I went to the Ashland Fin and Feather and I must say it is in much better shape than the one in Lakeside. Teeny shop but very good looking fish, and they even had some spunky kuhlie loaches and some very nice plant specimens. I will definitely be back there.

I also paid a visit to Azalea, where things are hunky dory as always. They are going to be under new management by a couple of the younger fellows, and they are planning on having a website. I invited them to AA so hopefully someday they will become a sponsor. I got myself some lovely sunset hygro and resisted any other purchases.

Anybody been to Richmond Aquariums recently? They were going to increase their FW selections but I have not "crossed the river" in a while!
Old 10-02-2004, 01:28 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

where's that one?
Old 10-02-2004, 11:18 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Another industrial park on Speeks Dr, near the corner of Courthouse and 360.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:32 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's even closer to my office!
Old 10-02-2004, 10:08 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Yep - get over there and see what they have - I was very impressed with their shop.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:32 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Stopped by Fish tales on Thursday. Not a bad shop but had way more reptiles and other critters than I expected. They could use a little more diversity in their fish stock, imo. Prices werent too bad although, not the greatest I've seen in a lfs. The young kid providing customer service could use some lessons as well. Im sure he meant well, but it bothers me when I have to tell someone four or five times in 15 minutes that I dont need any help. Everytime I wandered down a new isle he would practically yell "You need help?". I was preparing to ask him the same thing. Nice kid, just needs a little honing. Other than that, I thought they had some decent prices on their tanks. 55 gallon tank for 119 bucks isnt anything to sneeze at, as compared to other lfs'. I'd deffinitely go back provided I needed something quick.

I'd like to check out some of the other stores you mentioned, but I dont know the area well enough to venture across town just yet. I'd be coming up 64 or 60 from Toano/Williamsburg area and I dont know how big of a trip it is to get across Richmond. Fishtales is only about 35-40 minutes from the house, so not too bad; straight up 60 to Labernum. I'll need some coaching to go much further than that. One of these days when Im off work, I'll go on a leisure ride to check the town out. I got a tour from Long and Foster during my vacation/interview trip in August, but I wasnt driving and should have paid more attention. I'll check back here and try to visit them all soon. Thanks guys!!!!

She left me before we met.
youronlysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 12:39 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

No rush - I'm sure it won't take you too long to get the lay of the land. We should do a "LFS Crawl" tour one day, and hit every shop in the Metro area! If you go the opposite way on Laburnum that you did to get to Fish Tales you will be in the neighborhood of Azalea Aquarium - very Mom & Pop.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com