Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic & the Virginia's
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2004, 01:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Finally home in Virginia!

I've been on my new job with Infineon for a couple of weeks now near Richmond Virginia and I am loving the area thus far. The company is really great and will allow us to be able to live like real people for change.
We finally got our house but the movers cant make it out to unload until Oct. 4th. Thats ok, we're just glad we were able to get the house we wanted. Its a beatiful new 1680 sq. ft. 4 bed, 2.5 bath 2 story home with a 2 car garage and its located in Toano just off of 60. Nice little neighboorhood called Hunters Creek. The area is gorgeous and it works out great for us.....my wife can be closer to her parents in Williamsburg and I can still make it to work in decent time. Im already getting jumpy and want to get the house settled and the tanks up and going again. Im gonna have to find a goof lfs here now. TG, help me out here?
I look forward to living in the area and cant wait to settle in and enjoy it. See you all soon!

She left me before we met.
youronlysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 02:25 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Yay! Welcome to the area! We went to Colonial Williamsburg last weekend and had a great time - it is gorgeous there. Next weekend we hope to go to Busch Gardens, which you just must do, especially with the kids.

My current favorite LFS is Azalea Aquariums, near the Fairgrounds on Richmond/Henrico Turnpike. There is also Fish Tales, which is on Laburnum near the Airport, actually very close to the Laburnum exit off I-64, but they opened not too long ago and last time I was there they did not have their fish tanks set up yet. I am sure they are by now, though.

There may be a LFS in the Williamsburg area, I have no idea. I used to know some people who lived in Croaker and back then your area was extremely rural - is it pretty developed over there now?

Liz

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 07:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its still very rural; at least it is to me. There are a few small stores, but nothing big at all. Williamsburg is also pretty small compared to where I was before.

When we came up on vacation a month or so ago, we did take our daughter to Busch Gardens. What a beautiful park that is! Kings Dominion is on our list of things to do in addition to Water Country USA. Where I'm staying right now in Williamsburg is only minutes from Water Country USA and Busch Gardens. I'm right off of 199 and Jamestown Rd.

There is a small pet store in town but it only has a few rodents and very few fish. Wal-Mart has a better selection. I'll have to venture into Richmond one of these days and check out the pet stores there. The one you mentioned that is your favorite must be decent, so Id like to start there. I have a couple of days off next week....maybe I'll check it out.

She left me before we met.
youronlysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 02:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
Welcome to the area.

I like Azalea too. They have a lot of stock, and they dont' bother themselves with other pets. Just fish. Lots of fish.

Fish Tales had all of their freshwater and a couple salt tanks set up the last time I was there, which was I guess sometime in May. I haven't been there since I moved, but I'm sure they have all of their tanks up by now. They're nice people and worth a visit, and about 20 minutes closer to you than Azalea I think (but 295 helps).

-j
Old 09-29-2004, 12:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Welcome to our little corner of the world!!! If you do come into Richmond to check things out you have to check out a couple of stores ............... Fish World is a must if your a salty and Fin and Feather isn't but a few miles from Azalea Aquariums.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:24 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Fish World has been a help to me, too - they ordered base rock for me that I used in my African tank, and at a very good price. They also got me some Caribsea African cichlid sand, no shipping. They have a very good business ethic - they don't care if you are FW or SW, but just want your business (probably assuming that someday you will come over to the dark side... 8) )
Old 09-29-2004, 07:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
Not to hijack the thread, but where is Fish World?
Old 09-29-2004, 08:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

11634 Busy St # A, Richmond, which is 1 block south of Midlothian Turnpike off of Courthouse Road.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:22 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

It is in an industrial park area that does not look a bit like a place where a LFS would be, go all the way down Busy St. and it is on the right at the end.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Look for the actinic glow coming from the door.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com