Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic & the Virginia's

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #101
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
A few weeks ago, they had 50% off if you had a family member with you.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi all...

Curious if any of you have visited a place called SCALES Tropical Fish Warehouse (744 Cloverly Street, Cloverly, MD (301) 384-7839‎)??

I think it is relatively new. Mostly curious about others experiences with the place... seems like a nice store...facility wise. Terrible service though from the manager... most of the other employees seem okay.

Their website (Aquarium Store, Freshwater, Saltwater-SCALES Tropical Fish Warehouse) boasts that they have the only quarrantine system in the area. True?

Hope to hear some other opinions!

Jason

55Gal - Dry-Docked... wetness coming soon... I hope...
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:26 PM   #103
Sliced Bread

I disagree about the manager. Andrew's really good and knows his stuff.

I don't know about the only QT system, I doubt that, but if you do get a chance to go and peek at theirs it is highly impressive.

Their prices on dry goods leave a lot to be desired, but I can honestly say I've never gotten any bad livestock from them - (only gotten FW stuff from them, however).
Old 09-13-2008, 12:16 AM   #104
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilanh View Post
I disagree about the manager. Andrew's really good and knows his stuff.

I don't know about the only QT system, I doubt that, but if you do get a chance to go and peek at theirs it is highly impressive.

Their prices on dry goods leave a lot to be desired, but I can honestly say I've never gotten any bad livestock from them - (only gotten FW stuff from them, however).
Dont get me wrong... Andrew *definitely* knows his stuff. He is *good*... its just that i got a little bit of a "soup nazi" (hopefully you get the Seinfeld reference) vibe from him. I got chewed out for asking a question; seemed that it was beneath him. I do like the place though... only fish store I've visited that doesnt smell like it. Who knows... the more I visit, maybe he'll start to recognize and open up to me.

Good to know about his dry goods prices though. I kind of noticed that when I bought a freshwater test kit from him and then the next day saw it for $10 cheeper at the big box pet store when i was picking up food for my beagle.
55Gal - Dry-Docked... wetness coming soon... I hope...
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:29 AM   #105
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
SCALES is nice, though I've only been there once. Whoever helped me (don't think it was a manager) was awesome, really took their time with me when I couldn't make up my mind which coral I wanted, and seemed personable. I like the livestock selection but you are right, their dry goods are kinda overpriced.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #106
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm trying to remember if I've ever been there. It seems familiar. Did I meet up with you there Lindsay?
Old 09-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #107
AA Team Emeritus

Yep, its the one down near DC. They had the pirahna tanks, if you remember.

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #108
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I remember but not sure what I got from there. lol It's been awhile. It was a nice store.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:29 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
Dont get me wrong... Andrew *definitely* knows his stuff. He is *good*... its just that i got a little bit of a "soup nazi" (hopefully you get the Seinfeld reference) vibe from him. I got chewed out for asking a question; seemed that it was beneath him. I do like the place though... only fish store I've visited that doesnt smell like it. Who knows... the more I visit, maybe he'll start to recognize and open up to me.

Good to know about his dry goods prices though. I kind of noticed that when I bought a freshwater test kit from him and then the next day saw it for $10 cheeper at the big box pet store when i was picking up food for my beagle.
I know how you feel I feel like I'm contracting aids every time I go to ricks pet store in frederick.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:11 AM   #110
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniTweak View Post
I know how you feel I feel like I'm contracting aids every time I go to ricks pet store in frederick.
LOL! Yeah I know how you feel. I just flat out refuse to walk in there anymore. I wouldn't care if they were giving stuff away (which they should consider giving that you can't move through the aisles). The people who work there are SO rude too. I've gone in there and asked for help before...didn't see anyone back in the fish room so I went out into the store part to get someone. There is a guy reading a magazine behind the counter and I asked him for help. He said "oh there should be someone back there". I told him I just looked and there wasn't. He told me to look again because he just saw him. So... I did. I came back and I was like...nope, nobody back there. And he, very angrily, helped me. Then when someone finally did come into the fishroom (they were all chilling in the backroom) he gave the cup and net to the new person and had them help me.

I told the guy that if he wanted me to I could just scoop them myself.. then told him nevermind, that I had changed my mind and I walked out.

Never been in there since.

Tags
local fish store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com