Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic & the Virginia's
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-14-2008, 01:26 AM   #111
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ricks is pretty pathetic. I have to be very desperate to buy anything from him.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:57 AM   #112
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ha... well thanks for saving me the pain... guess I wont bother with Ricks...

Funny though... had a friend over last night. He saw my new tank and confessed for the first time that he used to keep a SW tank til a disease wiped him out. I asked him where he shopped, and he said Ricks... I asked him what he thought of the place and he said he liked it...

Things change I guess...

55Gal - Dry-Docked... wetness coming soon... I hope...
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:59 AM   #113
Sliced Bread

I must be nuts. I'm so frustrated trying to decide on my LR purchase that I am actually considering driving out to pacific east aquaculture. Road trip anyone?

It's way out in eastern maryland, over the other side of the chesapeake from me (135 miles according to yahoo maps). They have a sale on LR right now, 2.99/lb, and everything I've heard is that's a great place.

Am I crazy? Are ya'll crazy and want to come too?
Old 09-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #114
Aquarium Advice Addict

Of course your crazy but it would be a nice trip. I've been there and Dr Mac is awesome. You'll love his green house frag growing area. It took me 4hrs to get there and I'm now trying to remember if I dragged Lindsay along. I would love to go again some day but I just can't afford it right now.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #115
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Nope you didn't drag me along though I've always wanted to go. That is quite a haul though!

I met Dr. Mac at MACNA (fitting huh?) and he was so cool and his merchandise is top notch. Too bad you aren't ready for frags Neilan cause you would be hard pressed to walk out of there without buying any!

If you go let us know when.

Oh, but add like 30 minutes on to your trip cause I think they still have one lane of the eastbound bridge closed for that truck wreck investigation...so traffic is only one lane either way. I think it's still closed anyway?

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think the bridge is doing 1 lane on the east span at nights only at this point. Either way, they are doing 2 way on the west span when they take the east span to 1 lane. If you have an EZPass, get all the way to the left before the toll plaza for the fastest trip through. If not, go as far left as you can... they do some wierd lane merging stuff after the plaza on the middle and right side that just foul things up... the left seems to move through much faster.

Seeing as how I am on the shore quite a bit (in-laws live on Kent Island), Where is this fish store over there and do they do FW too?

Okay... 1 more question (yeah right ;P) What is this "frag" you all keep mentioning?
Old 09-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #117
Aquarium Advice Freak

A frag is a piece of Coral that has been cut off, for propogation or sales, most people do it to save room in their tank and trade for other rare corals they may not have. I also don't think they sell any FW equipment there.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:25 AM   #118
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniTweak View Post
A frag is a piece of Coral that has been cut off, for propogation or sales, most people do it to save room in their tank and trade for other rare corals they may not have. I also don't think they sell any FW equipment there.

huh... frag...ment... DUH! sheesh... i'm not quite sure why i didnt see that in the first place. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2008, 05:08 PM   #119
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I just went into Ricks the other week. I have heard bad things about them but decided to give them a chance. I needed compact bulbs for my FW planted tanks, the girl at the counter started arguing with me that I needed 50/50 bulbs for planted tanks and that they would have to special order them. I kept trying to correct her that 50/50 are not beneficial for FW plants, but she wouldn't listen...finally another guy showed up (i'm thinking rick) heard what we were arguing about and corrected her. But then he sold me bulbs with low wattage but red light assurring me that they would work fine for heavily planted tanks. They are the only store in frederick that sells compacts so I got suckered and bought them. Now my plants are dying and the bulbs were way overpriced. So much for giving them a chance....
Old 09-15-2008, 05:29 PM   #120
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

That is a haul!! I've wanted to go out there as well. I think Ray has been before also. From the pics I have seen of the place it looks amazing!

Let me know when you plan on going I'll try and get together with you and go too!

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
local fish store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com