Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic & the Virginia's
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #151
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm looking for a online store, something like bluezooaquatics.com but on the east coast not the west.

I've just started a sw tank a week ago and have learned a good bit already from this forum. I don't get out much and do most of my shopping online. The one aquarium store that I have been to and like well is about an hours drive. They are very helpful and the store doesn't smell like a fish place, prices are not bad from what I've priced online.

Belpre Aquarium
1806 Washington Blvd.
Belpre, OH

Old 03-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #152
Sliced Bread

What exactly are you looking for from an online store.... livestock or equipment?

Old 03-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #153
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Both, equipment I don't mind getting from the west coast but it seem like too much distance for livestock.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:42 PM   #154
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nevermind...I email Blue Zoo about shipping the distance and they said that a high volume of their livestock is shipped to the east coast. So now that I'm comfortable with that...Let the shopping begin

ok, I know I need to wait for my tanks to cycle before I shop
Old 02-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #155
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok, so I live in Martinsburg, WV and decided I'd go check out the lfs "Dog Gone Pets". The place looks like no one every cleans it. EVER. The tanks are all dark and it's almost impossible to see the fish. They have two biocube sw tanks, and each had a dead fish in it. About one out of every four fw tanks had a dead fish in it. They also have dogs. There were four there today. The three small dogs looked sad... like not feeling good sad. The only creatures that look like they're being cared for are the lizzards. I'm certainly no expert, but there's no way I'm buying my fish from this place. I feel bad for the dogs too... but at nearly $600/each, I can't afford to save them from this disaster of a pet store.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #156
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Thanks for the report. Always good to know.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #157
Aquarium Advice Freak

This thread is super-old, but the need still exists.
I'm in Silver Spring, MD. Moved here a few months ago and have been looking for good suppliers.

Quick review of my extensive and recent combing of the aquarium stores/big box stores in the area:

Best decor of all kinds, supplies, and plants: House of Tropicals in Glen Burnie - just south of Baltimore. Meh on the FW fish. Didn't look at Marine.

Best fish: PetsMart in Bethesda - hands down!!! Immaculate tanks, healthy fish, great prices.

Congressional Aquarium in Rockville, MD - huge selection of SW and FW fish, knowledgeable staff, BUT day after deliveries (they took me they get they're fish on Wed. and I was there on a Thursday), lots of tanks had numerous dead fish in their tanks. Causes could be that their suppliers aren't great, they don't acclimate properly, or they don't inspect their tanks very often. Don't know which it is, but I won't touch their fish or large selection of plants.

Plenty of supplies, though.

Tropical Lagoon just inside the Beltway in Silver Spring: tiny, dingy, not much selection of anything. Nice staff, though.

Keeping my sleeves wet...

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish
Old 02-16-2015, 07:24 PM   #158
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've been going to Congressional for 10+ years, never had a problem with anything I purchased there. Of course you get the staff members who give out bad advice but that's unfortunately common with lfs.

I still want to check out House of Tropicals in Glen Burnie.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:48 PM   #159
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaM View Post
I've been going to Congressional for 10+ years, never had a problem with anything I purchased there.... I still want to check out House of Tropicals in Glen Burnie.
So glad to hear you haven't had problems. I so want to be able to go there. It's only 25 min. at most, non-rush hours.

House of Tropicals may not be worth it if Congressional is actually not a problem, except the wood and rock selections are hugs and cheap.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:56 PM   #160
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Local Fish Stores

I'm not a fan of house of tropicals. They do have a lot of supplies but their fresh and salt livestock is eh. Especially marine, their prices have gone way up.

I went to congressional once and it was eh, maybe I just caught them on a bad day.
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
local fish store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com