New Jersey? Where do you get your fish/supplies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djmpj2

Aquarium Advice Freak
We live in Central NJ and are fairly new to the Saltwater hobby and getting quickly frustrated that there are very few good LFS in our area! So far we have only found two and they are not too close:

Tropaquarium (Ocean Twp) about 45 min from my house
Absolutely Fish (Clifton, NJ) about 75 min from my house

I was wondering if there are any more around here I don't know of. I've checked the yellow pages and nothing.

I would even be willing to take a road trip for a REALLY awesome store (Eastern PA or New York City area), so let me know if you have one that is out of this world!

TIA

DJ

I'd hate to suggest to anyone to drive to NYC but...I frequent a very good LFS. It's New World Aquarium (E. 38th St between 2nd and 3rd Av. in Manhattan). They have a very good selection of SW goodies. The store itself is rather small but, when I go there, I spend a ton of time just staring at their SW show tank! If you to consider it, I'll give you the directions (at least from the Tpke).

The Reefs on Route 22 in Dunellen for sw fish and corals. Not much in the way of supplies but great livestock.

Hanover Pet in E. Hanover has great stuff but its kinda expensive and medium sized.
Theres also Animals and Things on Rt 1 by woodbridge which is huge but i've never bought livestok from there.

I've got 3 around me. One on Rt 70 and one on Rt 73...they are both within a mile of the circle where 73 and 70 intersect. There is another one Blackwood Clemonton Rd in Blackwood.

These are probable a hike from you but... The one on 73 has the best prices, the one on 70 will usually has a large stock and every so often you can find a good deal. And the one in Blackwood has decent prices and a very large assortment.

There are two large stores in Philly but I don't got out that far enough to give decent directions.

DeNero, can you tell me which stores in Philly you like? I am in Philly but haven't found anywhere I like all that much. Would appreciate the suggestions.

tripper

I originally bought my tank at World Wide Aquarium. I believe it's on Frankford Ave. They weren't all that helpful and didn't have a huge selection of livestock. But they did have a semi decent selection. A friend of mine mentioned another one which is around the corner but I have never been there. I think it is Aquarium City on South 4th Street. Are you familiar with either of these places?

If you don't mind taking the trip, you can shoot across the Tacony-Palmyra to the ones near me on 73 and 70 as well. They aren't more than 20 mins from the bridge.

AQUARIUM DISCOUNT PET CENTER INC
140 N ROUTE 73 N, MARLTON, NJ 08053
Phone: (856) 985-1701

I don't remember the on on 70 and can't find a listing for it. But it is right near the circle w/ rt 73 and less than a mile from the place on 73. They should both be in Marlton.

I also use Tropaquarium when I need a LFS. I've found better luck online for most things so far as well as the NJRC. The LFS is all but useless. There is also the place on 9 near Toms River... Aquaoceans. Looks like a hole, but supposedly the guy knows his stuff. He had Selcon. I can say that for him. I find I can get a bucket of salt online and pay shipping for less than what I paid for the same salt bucket at Trop. I also got an RO/DI unit off of ebay and haven't needed to go into the LFS since then.

I was in The Reefs, but wasn't greatly impressed with either the selection nor the dry goods nor the prices, especially after going to Trop.

Where in NJ are you? I'm in Jackson.

We are in Old Bridge.

I have not bought livestock online yet, just because they require such a large minimum order and I don't want to add more than one fish to my tank at a time.

So far I do like the livestock at Trop but they are very expensive.

I went to Animals and Things on Sunday. They sell premade salt water for $3 a gallon (WHEW) and more than 1/2 their salt water tanks were empty. Maybe I went on a bad day but I didn't think it was worth the ride.

I do LOVE Absolutely Fish but it is SO far to go. They have the biggest selection by far for livestock. The store is very clean.

Went to a new place in Farmindale (by Belmar) this week called Fish Fetish, but it is a VERY small store with very small supply of livestock and I didn't really see too many supplies either. Big sign on the wall - Absolutely No Returns On Livestock. Looks like I absolutely won't be shopping there :)

DJ

I work in EB. I don't know of any place up here (except for the stores on 22, 3 of them, I think) but I thought their prices were higher than Trop. Picture the demographic going to that store, lol. NJRC frequently has group buys to places so that you can get a fish without getting 10 and making up the shipping. I've gotten all but one of the fish I have from Trop. Overall a very healthy group of fish. I can't complain. I have yet to see a selection of fish like theirs and we drove to every store from Lacey township to Marlboro! We'll have to venture over to Absolutely Fish one of these days. My maroon clown was free from a fellow reefer from NJRC. Got all of my coral frags from NJRC as well. My cleaning crew I got from Reeftopia with free shipping if you spend over 120, I think.

If you find another place to buy quality livestock closer to home, I'd love to hear about it!

What is NJRC? How do the group buys work?

You have to take a Road Trip to Absolutely Fish one day. Well worth it - at least once. Nice store.

DJ

They have a website but they're quite active on the local board over at Reef Central (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=70). I'm not sure what their website is.

I've never participated in a group buy. Every once in a while someone who's interested in buying puts up a post. Right now they are preparing a coral buy for Dr. Macs (Maryland?). There was recently a post about a group buy for Reeftopia too.

You have to take a Road Trip to Absolutely Fish one day
Will do, thanks for the tip!

Water at Trop is 1.00/g for SW. That's more than enough, IMO! Enough to make me go out and by a RO/DI and salt! I love their containers though!

I'm in the dead center of north jersey, and my fish guy is at Lil Critters - he's always given me fantastic advice and none of the fish I've bought from him have had any problems at all. If you need help finding him, email me at mg(at)moxiegrrrl(dot)com. More than happy to give directions.

Good luck!

They are in Denville, and yes, he has SW fish.

If you give me a highway to start from, I can give you very good directions.

I live in South Jersey and use a place on RT. 40 in Pleasantville called Ocean Aquariums. Its about 10 minutes outside of Atlantic City. They have a really good livestock selection and the people there are very helpful. Can anyone give me directions to Absolutely Fish? It sounds like a great store and I am always willing to take a road trip if it is worth it.

Thanks

FYI www.reefs.org has a local fish store directory
Don't have directions to Absolutely Fish but here the address and phone number 1080 Rte 46 West
Clifton, NJ 07013
973-365-0200

Back
Top Bottom