Notification of Water Treatment Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh2o

Aquarium Advice Addict
Notification of a temporary switch from chloramine to chlorine in the DC metro area.
URL: News - DC Water - District of Columbia Water and Sewer Authority
Contents:
Spring Cleaning begins in the Region’s Drinking Water Pipes- Customers may notice a slight change in taste and smell
Mar 18, 2015 -- From March 23 through May 4, 2015, the disinfectant in drinking water will temporarily switch from chloramine to chlorine.

The annual switch in water disinfection is part of a routine program to clean and maintain drinking water systems in the District of Columbia, Arlington County and the northeastern portion of Fairfax County. During the temporary switch to chlorine, local water authorities will also conduct system-wide flushing to enhance water quality. This program is a common practice for many U.S. water systems that use chloramine during the majority of the year.

The Washington Aqueduct is the organization responsible for treating and disinfecting drinking water for its wholesale customers: DC Water, Arlington County, and Fairfax Water. Local water authorities are responsible for monitoring drinking water to ensure chlorine levels continue to meet safe target levels.

Individuals and business owners who take special precautions to remove chloramine from tap water, such as dialysis centers, medical facilities and aquatic pet owners, should continue to take the same precautions during the temporary switch to chlorine. Most methods for removing chloramine from tap water are effective in removing chlorine. Individuals with special health concerns should consult a health care provider on the use of tap water.

During this time, individuals may notice a slight change in the taste and smell of their drinking water. Local water authorities recommend running the cold water tap for approximately two minutes and refrigerating tap water to reduce the chlorine taste and odor. Water filters are also effective for reducing chlorine taste and odor. For more information, please contact the appropriate water authority.

DC Water: 202-612-3440 (Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) or 202-612-3400 (24-hour)

Arlington County: 703-228-6570 (Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.) or 703-228-6555 (24-hour)

Fairfax Water: 703-698-5800 (Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.) or 703-698-5613 (24-hour)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thats me! I did a water change 2 days ago!:nono:

This does not take effect until Monday, 3/23. If you are using a product to neutralize chloramines then it will be fine for chlorine. Basically, continue to do what you are doing now.

Chlorine can simply be gassed off, it poses less problems for fish keepers vs Chloramines.
An air stone in a bucket, if that! is enough to remove chlorine.
This should present no problems for fish keepers, depending on concentration, in any case, the airstone trick will easily deal with it.

Not my words,
Chloramine is a chemical compound made by reacting ammonia with the active ingredient in chlorine bleach. Although it is a weaker germicide than chlorine, it is more stable, which is why water systems are making more use of it.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, chloramine provides better protection against bacterial regrowth in water systems with large storage tanks and dead-end water mains. The EPA says that like chlorine, chloramine effectively controls biofilm, a slime formed by bacterial growth that coats and corrodes pipes and can harbor dangerous concentrations of coliform bacteria. Because chloramine tends not to react with organic compounds in water, consumers may have fewer complaints about the chemical taste and odor of treated water.

Like chlorine, however, chloramine is toxic. The EPA states that neither poses health concerns to humans at the levels used for drinking water disinfection, but even at those levels, both can harm fish and amphibians. Chlorine produces by-products that contribute to cancer and birth defects and, in itself, may contribute to heart disease, but at least it dissipates rapidly when water is boiled or left standing and exposed to air. Chloramine does not.

Thanks for the info, J. I'm just pleased the water authority published this. I would not have seen it if I had not logged into the forum of a local aquarium group i recently joined.

No worries, at least they did publish it!
Really it should be no problem, like you say, if you're already dealing with Chloramines those products normally deal with chlorine.

Back
Top Bottom