Richmond Area Club/Society

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Id love to be involved as well. I keep both FW and SW tanks at home, although Im relocating to VA. from Idaho, so I will be starting all over when I get settled in. TankGirl...your not moving far, are you?

Welcome, youronlysin! Glad to see you're thinking ahead, LOL!

No I moved just about 2 miles away, and now I'm in Glen Allen, on the north side of town. The move is all done and I'm all settled into life in the 'burbs :D

When are you moving?

-Liz

TankGirl said:
Welcome to the group, phases99! :D
Thanks. I was a FW guy myself for 20 years. I lost my last Angel this spring. He was 9 years old and raised him from an egg. As I was cleaning the tank to put it into storage I had a crazy thought. I wanted a Reef. This hobby is amazing isn't it.

phases99 - I just lost an angel myself - one I raised from a baby and had spawned for me many times, so I know where you're coming from. I am sure I will "cross over to the SW side" at some point, and I know I will have lots of resources for advice when I do, LOL!

Liz

Not sure on the move date yet. I'm still waiting on a call from the relocation company to get the ball rolling. I have made some calls regarding some homes, but nothing is deffinite yet. My first day on the new job is Sept. 13, so I have to be there before then. Time is running out!

Next RVA Frag Swap is going to be Thursday Oct. 7th at 6:30 pm. This time around we will be meeting at Dave's to see his excellent DIY SPS reef. For directions/details, please send me a PM. Hope to see some of you guys there!

Brandon

Well I just ventured into Saltwater this week, so I'm down for the next meeting. Mostly to find out stuff, but it will be fun anyway!

-j

Ok, you guys should have been there. :) It was really cool. The host, Jay, has a really sweet cube setup with his rock forming a tall pillar, and he glued some corals in various spots so they will grow out and up. It was cool, and there were a ton of people there.

I didn't expect to get anything because my tank’s only been up for a week and a half, and I have more live rock coming on Wednesday. They had a raffle, and I didn’t even put my name in for the live stuff. But when I was leaving, I got talking to people about my tank and they started giving me stuff. By the time I left, I had a small colony of pink button polyps about the size of a 50 cent piece, a small orange Montipora digitata, and a quarter-sized piece of purple xenia. I drip acclimated them for an hour and a half, and then I stuck them in the tank. After my rock comes next week and I position stuff, I'll take a pic of my new pieces. That xenia is odd! :)

-j

I'll tell you what, Mike...they have grown since I put them in. :) I don't know if there are any new polyps forming, but I do see some small ones that are getting bigger. The ones that were there are taller, and the rock they are on looks much fuller. Once I get my new rock set up, I'll post a pic of the reef and you can see what they look like.

Here's a question though...some of them are a brighter pink than others. Is there something I can do to get that brightness to shine in the duller ones, or is it just that the dull ones are more open (thus making the color less dense)?

That xenia rolled off the piece it was on and has firmly attached itself at the base of one of my rocks. I don't know if I like that, but it seems to be doing well, so I guess I'll leave it there until it gets unruly.

This reef stuff is great. I can't wait for the next swap. I'll be bringing some cash. There's a guy who has blue and green zoos, and I think I want me some of that...

-j

I would try to direct feed the zoos with cyclopez, that might help it color up more. I have a few more morphs of different zoos at the store, I can always frag a few for a few bucks......

Ok, I'll check out cyclopez.

Just got word that my rock was delivered to my house at 11:40. I will probably leave work early so I can get that stuff in. I'm a little nervous about the critters because I loathe things crawling on me, especially when there's a possibility for stingage. But it also might just be my mind messing with me...

Do you have a website or at least pic of what you have at the store? We live close to each other, so would you be opposed to me stopping by your house one evening to pick up some livestock? :) You can PM me if you'd rather take this conversation offline.

-j

Yeah. There is a frag swap this month. The way things are going, it looks like it's gonna be on the 20th of this month.

Back
Top Bottom