Scales is closing it's doors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sorry to see your LFS is closing... looks like some serious bargains in the ad there. I often check the ads on the LFS around my place to see whether something's up. And, surprise, they have another 50% off all fish and plants sale, which as I understand it, only normally happens twice a year.

Tough economy for a single-line retailer like a fish store to survive in.

wow... that sucks... now I'm not going to have a decent LFS within an hour of me... looks like i need to take a trip over today.

I think I am getting one of those 40BR pre drills, I mean 40 bucks thats dirt for a 40BR.

Hopefully they ship.

I dunno... my guess is not... there were tanks streaming out the door today. They may not need to worry about shipping at this point.

Its only a day drive from chicago to calvert county so I know I can fit a 40B into my car. I got a bud in WV that can get it for me too. Ill make some calls.

Yeah... none of the employees I asked had any ideas on where to go to replace their quality. Grrr... dont want to have to rely on crappy petsmart.

I know the Salties have a few options... but I dont know about the rest of you freshies, but everywhere else I have been has been...well... eh.

i was just there today. apparently they are already done liquidating and are permanently closed now.
i did talk to one of the guys there (i think it it was Andrew) and he told me about Tropical Fish World in gaithersburg. He said they seem to really care about the fish and customers.

i was just there today. apparently they are already done liquidating and are permanently closed now.
i did talk to one of the guys there (i think it it was Andrew) and he told me about Tropical Fish World in gaithersburg. He said they seem to really care about the fish and customers.
I went to Tropical Fish World on Memorial Day, and it's quite nice. Another LFS option in the area is Tropical Lagoon, in Silver Spring.

Tropical Fish World

I was actually just there yesterday, and agree that its a pretty nice store. Good freshwater selection, including some species that I had never heard of before, and *really* nice employees. They do really seem to care about the fish.

Downsides... It is waaaaaaaay too dark in there. not only just in the tanks too... it was just *dark*... I could hardly see in some of the tanks. Also, they seem to have some real issues with black beard algae... it was in almost all the tanks... even though they are on independant tanks.. not a central system. But for me, as long as I bleach any plants I buy, I think I could live.

I talked to an employee about their quarantine proceedures. (this is something that I *really* liked about Scales... they quarantined *everything* before it hit the sales floor.) While TFW does not quarantine before sale, they do keep an eye on their tanks for issues and treat as needed. They apparently keep a log book on all tanks, and have recently started writing their logs right on the tank. I dont recall seeing anything but PWC marks on the tank, so I am hoping that means that they have good suppliers w/ good stock.

For the salties, their fish selection was small, but had some beautiful fish... I think mostly more common fish, but they were awful purty. Their coral stock was pretty dismal... maybe a dozen specimins... in 3 large tanks... so maybe I have to assume that they had not recieved a shipment recently.

Overall, This seems like a pretty good store.. not looking forward to the drive to get there and back, but I think I had just been spoiled having a great store close to home, and basically on my drive home from work. I would reccomend y'all check it out some time.

Also bummed Scales went out. :(

Few other shops in the area -

Exotic Aquatics, north side of the Balt Beltway

Aquarium Center, rt 26 in Randallstown

Rick's Fish and Pets, in Frederick

House of Tropicals, Glen Burnie

Personal view - I like Ricks and Exotic Aquatics, both for different reasons. Aquarium Center isn't as good as it was when it used to be Aquarium Depot, but is steadily getting better and better under the new ownership. House of Tropicals is there, not my favorite shop personally, but is a long time player in the area so do appeal to many others.

And of course you can always "shop" the local clubs' auctions, Capital Cichlid Association www.capitalcichlids.org , GWAPA www.gwapa.org for planted tank folks, and PVAS www.pvas.com in Northern VA.

Back
Top Bottom