Scales Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neilanh

Sliced Bread
Alright, I'm going to Scales tomorrow. I'll post a little mini-review or at least my impressions in this thread this weekend. I'm not overly impressed with their website, but the pics of the store do look promising.

Is there any particular points of interest or anything specific anyone would like me to check out while I'm there?

I plan on heading out around noon tomorrow (earlier if I can get out of bed, Saturday's are my only sleep in day).

I'd like to know how the corals and sw section are. Mainly selection and health. But also the freshwater fish, plants, etc. Thats uh...pretty much everything isn't it? lol.

Thanks neilanh!!

Here's my review!

Scales - The Fish Warehouse
My Impressions

I was concerned on the way. Heading there, you travel down beat up roads through mostly residential area until you come to a small strip mall type area where it's located. I found the sign, that simply says Tropical Fish, and my daughter and I headed in. I opened the door, and all I could see were tanks. Already, I was looking forward to this.

My first impression was WOW.

First we meandered through the equipment and dry goods. They carry a nice selection of stuff, although on equipment I found their prices a bit high compared to online shopping, but that was to be expected. I was really impressed with their selection of driftwood and artificial plants, they have a large assortment of really cool stuff I've never found anywhere else. In the middle of the Dry Goods area, towards the back, is the big 144gallon half circle Discus Tank (see pics) for $5000. Very impressive to look at.

They carried a small assortment of tanks and stands, all pretty reasonably priced IMO. But, enough of that, on to the livestock.
Rows and rows and rows of fish tanks. I'm not exaggerating one bit. They had 8 aisles of tanks, and I did a general count of 36-40 tanks per aisle. That estimates out to about 400 display tanks. The guy I spoke with said there was another ~400 in the back of receiving and QT tanks. Very impressive. The first aisle we entered contained a large selection of piranhas. BIG piranhas too. On the other side of the aisle, was a huge, beautiful selection of Discus. They had 9 30ish gallon tanks dedicated to discus, and they were incredible.

At the back of the store were 20ish tanks dedicated to FW plants. All very well kept and in great condition. We continued through the rest of the FW stuff, and they had a huge variety of fish, all kinds of stuff, stuff I've never heard of. All in great condition. I'll note now that during our perusing of the 400ish tanks, there was not a single dead fish, not a single indication of disease, and I couldn't even find a spot of algae. All of their tanks were clean, and I didn't see any incompatible fish being housed together.

They had stuff that I'd consider to be a little more on the rare side too. They had cory cats I've never even heard of, they had some of the rarer plecos in stock, they had a selection of the flat hillside loaches (I think that's what they're called). They had 3 FW stingrays, eels, etc too. A very nice selection of not so common stuff.
Then we got to the saltwater section. Again, incredible. They had all kinds of stuff, all in great condition. The fish all looked healthy and happy, the corals all looked great, and the inverts they had were numerous. I'm not a SW guy, so I can't talk specifics, but overall I think they have a good selection of SW stuff too.

So, when I arrived at the store, I realized I had my camera phone with me, and decided to snap pics as I went through. I took several pics of price tags for 2 reasons. To give an idea of what they carried in stock, and to give an idea of their prices. Especially the SW stuff, since I don't have any background to compare it to. I don't have a great camera phone, but I think it did okay to get the point across.

If you have any questions I'll see if I can recall and answer them. Hope this helps.

Overall, if you have a Saturday and need something to do, I'd highly recommend the trip at least once to see it. I don't know that they'll become my normal LFS, because they're so far away, but I'll definately be making an occasional trip out.

Like I said, I took pics with my phone. I didn't sort them or edit them, I just threw them all up on the web.
Here's the link

That place looks incredible. I'm gonna have to make a point of finding it now. Thanks for the review!

Yeah, that place looks great! Thanks for the review.

Ohhhh Cindy. :) We gotta go!!!!

neilanh, thanks so much for a great review and all the pictures! wow! That place does look very good.

Now I gotta see what I'm doing this coming weekend.

Devilishturtles said:
Ohhhh Cindy. :) We gotta go!!!!
Now I gotta see what I'm doing this coming weekend.

Definately!! Though, is there any chance you can go any day during the week? We have a reptile show this weekend so I won't be around Sat. We were planning to go to Scales today but that didn't happen so we still gotta get down there. Get ahold of me on IM if you get a chance. :)

I think they were planning on going this past Sunday....

Yep, sure did. :) It's a nice store. I didn't even get past the sw stuff. lol I came home with a few new critters. The first thing that hit me when I went in is how clean the store was. Gotta love that. And their workers were all very nice. Their livestock prices were higher than I'd have expected for a "warehouse" store but I didn't find them overly inflated either. Pretty average to what I'm used to paying. And the fish/inverts (what I saw) appeared very healthy. It was a nice trip.

I agree with the cleanliness of it - very impressive.

I just wish it weren't so far away.

I asked the owner if he would consider moving to this side of the river. He said they had thought about it when they getting started, but they didn't want to have to move to keep the commute down.

neilanh said:
He said they had thought about it when they getting started, but they didn't want to have to move to keep the commute down.
What ever happended to customer service! LOL!

If Ray pops in, I'd like to see a review on Safesea or Seasaves (sorry, I couldn't remember the correct name).

Scales was pretty awesome! I agree they had some great livestock, and helpful people. No complaints.

But geesus, what a drive to get there! I never thought those roads would end! Thank god I was following Cindy, or I'd still be there, looking for my way back!

neilanh said:
What's Sea Save?
It's in Glenn Burnie, MD. I believe they are a sort of SW/FW rescue and they are also a LFS.
DT, No we only went to Roozen's, we didn't have time to go anywhere else, had a last minute B-Day party/going away party.

SeaSaves is an interesting store. It's very small but thier set up is neat. It is strickly a SW store, or was when I was there.

How did you like Roozens Scott? You'd never think there was a SW store there would you? lol I think it's a good idea but, they need to rethink the whole lighting thing. :)

Yeah, they had a huge selection (at least by my standards, lol). We walked in and saw the big tank in the next room, I thought that was all there was to it! LOL! I don't understand how they keep some of those fish in the tiny tank dividers. Over all, it was pretty neat, I like the eels and baracuda. They also had a hugh puffer, if folks could see how big some get, it would keep them from wanting to put one in a 20-50G tank.

If I remember right, they had a large tank with four or five hawaiian morays when I was there. They were incredible. :)

Back
Top Bottom