VA to ban weather loach and axolotl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never seen or heard about a weather loach in our creeks, streams or lakes here in N.C! I've fished everywhere, mountains, coastal, forests, lakes and have never seen any fish close to resemblance to the weather loach, ever! And I seriously doubt that they can survive "if kept slightly moist". Again, total bull. But I don't know what you guys think of it :)

Nils

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to take walks along side this murky, stagnant pond (in northern VA) and the only thing I saw in there were turtles and the occasional water snake. However, there were "things" take gulps of air at the surface. I thought they were tadpoles but upon further inspection they appeared to be weather loaches. I read up on them and found that they were highly adaptable to this area very likely what I saw.
That too bad about the axolotl. I guess the decision was to ban the entire Mole Salamander family rather than having to list (and later amend) individual species in the family. Kind of stinks because once never owned one. However, the potential to spread disease from other members of this family to some of the native amphibians is costly IMO. Love the natives!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

DEC here in NY has just banned the Weather Loach. Effective last week I believe Thank god Axolotls weren't on the list. Mosquito fish are banned. A few others.. And the African Clawed frog is now regulated.

Back
Top Bottom