Angelfish breed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinkkiwi1230

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got 2 donated angelfish. They were at petco. Since i have 4 now, and anyone help me with telling the difference in breeds. I think they are both males too. But any tips or help would be great. They are in a 55 gallon tank with 2 platies, 2 guppys, 3 tetras, one gold fish and an algae eater.... plus i have a divider at one end for some baby guppies

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
1a1dfa9cf58128a2b74fa4d924ae7efc.jpg

Hoping for you that they are all males, including the little Angel guy(s) you have in there or they will pair up and try attacking everything in "their" space aka territory.

They look mature /older by that giant nub on their heads. Maybe Andy can chime in.

Yeah i heard males had a hump, but the yellow had a smaller hump. So i wasnt sure if the size mattered lol. And since they were donated together, i wasnt sure if they were a pair already

The males have a bit of a hump...females should have more of a ski jump look. Angels are usually very hard to sex as juveniles

Both mature males. First one is a Gold or a Sunset (Sunset is a blushing Gold), second one is either a Goldmarble or a Koi, (Koi is a blushing Goldmarble) need to know the parents to be sure, but it looks to be a Koi. Both are standard fin, no veils. Hard to tell for sure on mature fish because they lose the blush as they get older.

Thank you! I been looking online too. Is it okay to have different breeds in the same tank?

They are all one "breed", Pterophyllum Scalare. Just different color variations. No problem being in the same tank.

Okay cause I made the mistake with cichlids lol. I don't wanna lose these fish. They are the prettiest I've ever had.

Back
Top Bottom