Attn Floridians!! Francis coming! Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys! I'm new here. I found this in a search for aquariums/hurricanes...
I noticed some of you live out west-my heart has been with you all through the whole thing. Well now I ask-
Without a generator-I'm in an apt-how do you deal with a tank in a power outage!!!! I was here for Irene in '99 & my power was out for 2 days!!! Fortunately I had no aquarium then! Well now I do!
The power always goes out here but never more than an hour or 2. I have a Pennplax battery back up thing that goes on when the power goes out so they'll have air, but what do I do about the filters?! Obviously I won't feed, but should I change the water everyday? More??!!
I always do 50% changes once a week. I have a Whisper 3 Aquaclear 300 & Filstar II. I'm freaked! I'm typing a mile a minute! (well as fast as I can with one hand-hey it's faster than one finger...! :)
Please give me input! Time is running out...
Deep breath... :D
Thanks guys!

I live in Charleston, South Carolina and with that tropical storm my power was out for about six hours, but my fish didn't die. If possible you could try to look for a battery powered air pump, but I have been trying to find one for two weeks and my lfs said the entire eastern coast was sold out of them. I think my fish are going to die... You could try to get a battery powered fan and tank the hood off your tank then put the fan next to the water to keep it moving.

I use the air powered air pumps (get a bunch of spare batteries). I wish they were a lot stronger but they are what they are. As long as you keep the filter media wet, it'll last. Depending on how much spare water you have, you could freshen up the tanks and filters each day. I did that for a few days during Charley and it worked out fine with no losses and no ill effects on the water conditions. I would suggest filling up anything you can with spare water and make sure you have enough dechlorinator. I had a couple of large coolers and the bathtub filled for whatever came up including my tanks. Luckily your test kits still work without power and you can check the water every day or two. Oh, I cut back on feeding because of the lack of filtration too.
I hope Frances spares you down there in Dade County. At the moment it looks like it'll hit us hard up here in Central FL. Be safe elf.

Pour water through the filter from time to time. I had an outtage of 6 days with Isabel and did not lose any fish - but I did have to babysit the tanks.

Thanks all! Glad to hear there were no fish fatalities! So I guess the idea is to keep water passing over the filter media-keep stuff moving in there...What about changing the water though?
Tropicalman-what do you mean by "freshen"? Well you guys didn't have any water-I'm HOPING that even if the power goes (which is a strong possibility) that the water stays ok...
Tankgirl-did you have the water working?
So if I do have water-if you guys had water-should I change it often? I guess that might kill the bacteria though...I dunno! Help! :)
I know the air needs to move & I know water needs to pass over the filter media, but as far as changes (if we have water-obviously if we don't that's not an option but I'm hoping for the best here!) I'm stumped.
Lemme know guys!
Lance don't be so pessimistic! I mean, I know the Carolinas are always hit hard, but it's usually North C-you're in South C so... :)
This is a freakin big storm though so be careful!
Energy to us all!

Thanks all! Glad to hear there were no fish fatalities! So I guess the idea is to keep water passing over the filter media-keep stuff moving in there...What about changing the water though?
Tropicalman-what do you mean by "freshen"? Well you guys didn't have any water-I'm HOPING that even if the power goes (which is a strong possibility) that the water stays ok...
Tankgirl-did you have the water working?
So if I do have water-if you guys had water-should I change it often? I guess that might kill the bacteria though...I dunno! Help! :)
I know the air needs to move & I know water needs to pass over the filter media, but as far as changes (if we have water-obviously if we don't that's not an option but I'm hoping for the best here!) I'm stumped.
Lemme know guys!
Lance don't be so pessimistic! I mean, I know the Carolinas are always hit hard, but it's usually North C-you're in South C so... :)
This is a freakin big storm though so be careful!
Energy to us all!

My water was "working" but it was not drinkable - it was contaminated because the water treatment plant lost power, believe it or not. I did not change any water during that time - that was not a high priority, but keeping oxygen in the tanks and filters was the thing. Temperature was not such an issue either, unlike when power goes out due to an ice storm or the like.

When I said freshen the water I meant just to do small partial water changes, maybe a gallon or two. I did this with water I had set aside for the purpose. I also changed the water in the filter the same way, just pour out what's in there and refill it just like TG said.
T-Man

I don't know if this makes a difference, but I didn't say how big a tank & type of fish beacause when I signed up I was asked & just assumed that this info was added at the bottom before the signature the way most are...
So-I have a 55 gallon with a 12+ inch Albino Osc-Oscy & Plec-Plecy :D
So, uh, does this change any of the "emergency procedures"? Otherwise I think I've got it!
I am also hoping this thing is turning... (hopefully back into the ocean without hitting anywhere!) :jump:

No it doesn't change anything just remember that you have to act as the filter. Just be careful about excess food or waste and remove it ASAP.
We're all hoping the same thing but we'll just have to see what Frances decides to do.

elf, things are looking a little better for you there in Miami, I think! Who knows if you could even get out if you had to, based on the reports of evacuations in progress. No gas, no food in the stores, no money at the ATM - what a mess!

When my power was out for that eternity last summer I had a 55, a 44, a 15, a 12 a 10 and a 5gal. I was a busy bee! We did get a generator - that experience was the clincher.

The storm is like 300 miles wide.... That is insane :twisted: . With hurrcane force winds extending 100 miles from the eye... It's only a category 3 now though.

Well guys, thankfully the thing is down to a Cat 2 & basically missed us here on Miami Beach! :D Honestly if I didn't know, I would just think we were getting a long spell of rain-& it's really been mostly drizzling! My mom up in Boca said it's really windy & rainy, but we both have our power! :jump: :D Hooray for the fish!! :D
Of course I feel bad for those up in West Palm & north, but I'm hoping since it's been so slow & everyone was so prepared that there are ZERO fatalities or injuries - animal or human! I know there are fallen trees & such which SUCKS but...If this thing had stayed a 4 or become a 5...
Well at least we had a day extra off from work! :) And maybe 2...They evacuated the hotel that I work at (imagine being on vacation... 8O ) so I might be off tomorrow (Sun) too...
Wanna hear something humorous? On Thurs at about 11 AM I was woken up by my doorbell...As I went to get it, I realized that it went on because the power went out! I was like "It's here! This is it!" But it was just my usual power out-about 1.5 hours...If a cloud passes over head my power goes out! :fadein:
Anyway, just wanted to give an update. Thanks for all the advise, & I hope everyone has/had as much luck as we do/did! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom