Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Southern States
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Beta and crab

I have a beautiful Blue Betta (pic) . I just put him in a 5 gal aquarium from a lil bowl. He LOVES it! Can I put a lil red claw crab in there to kinda keep the bottom of the tank clean? I dont think they would bother each other , but I wanted to see if anyone else has done that and what the results were. I just love those lil crabs!

Old 12-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats great your betta has a real aquarium to live in!

These crabs need brackish water to thrive, your betta won't care for that.

The red claw also need access to a dry area, such as a beach, or most common, a lower water level with rocks or decorations sticking up out of the water. They also need good hiding places for after they molt and are adept escape artists.

If your betta is mellow, try amano shrimp as a companion. They aren't as showy, but will keep your tank nice and clean and won't add to the bioload.

Also, did you cycle the tank before moving the betta into it?

Old 12-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

yep, sure did. can I get those shrimp in any pet store or is it something I would have to special order?
Old 12-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You will need to check around.

Aquatic stock varies so much from one store to another, and also your geographic area.

I would avoid getting small juveniles, as any betta might view tiny shrimp as food.

If you can't find them at any LFS in your area, I know an excellent online source if its not too cold to ship aquaria to where you live right now.

Tags
beta, crab

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com