Hurricane Plan for tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gubernaculum86

Aquarium Advice Freak
I live in South Florida and hurricane season is right around the corner for us southerners. I was wondering if any members out there have taken precautions for their tanks going into hurricane season.

What happens if the power goes out? It can be out for weeks after a major hurricane. How long could u let ur tank sit with out the filters and pumps running? I guess u could run the pumps off a backup generator, but that should probably be used for running things like the fridge and the ac.

What if you have to be evacuated? Do u leave ur tank and hope for the best, who knows when ull get back to it again if at all. I dont think u could take ur fish with you?

I know I would hate to have to leave my tank behind for it to be destroyed and have my fish die after all the money, time and effort into it.

What do u guys think is there anyhing you can do to better protect ur little fishy buddies from mother natures wrath?

I am also in Florida and was wondering the same thing. How long could my SW tank go without power? Would I throw an airstone in there for oxygen? I figure my FW cichlids could survive a few days but not sure about sw.

You can easily get small generators for 500 dollars. It`s much cheaper then everything in your tank.

Oh you mean like the portable ones? My parents have the regular $5k generator. I may have to look into that then. Thanks for the heads up

Yeah that's the biggest problem I fore see with the generators is their lack of running time, and u can only get so much gas to run them. Are there battery powered pumps and filters?

There is battery powered Aerators. You can buy at fishing tackle stores. They have small ones that run on 2 c batteries all the way up to some that will run off a car battery. I was thinking of buying a really good battery back up like for a computer I hear some of them will run a computer for up to 30 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom