Knoxville TN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello, I live in NE Knox County just outside Knoxville. I seem to make every beginner mistake you can make so I am prob of no help to you. But, I do have questions for you if you don't mind. Mainly, I am wanting to get a pair of GBR's and was excited to see The Aquarium on Papermill has some acclaimated to their well water which they said has a ph of about 7.4 they didn't say about gh or kh. I use water from NE Knox Utility and my ph is 7.8 but what really concerns me is that (if I am reading the test kit correctly) my gh is 220 ppm. The folks at the Aquarium have told me before that is extremely high and what little I know about the GBR's I believe they won't do well in the hard water. What water are you using & is it hard? Thanks in advance, & happy to meet you!

Hey im in Sevierville!! And just a heads up i wouldnt get any GBRs from aquarium connections. I love the store and would get anything else from them but their gbrs are hormone injected and i got a female from them that died after about two months. Not bashing the store i love it for everything else just not gbrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the info Josh. I ended up getting a Bolivian Ram from Aquatic Marine on Clinton Hwy. thanks for the info about the GBR's. I too love The Aquarium, but understand what you are saying. Their GBR's are quite pricey. So far the bolivian has been healthy and I am very happy with his personality.

No problem. I actually have a pair of bolivians from the aquarium connection and theyre awesome little fish.

I love these little fish! Would have loved to have gotten a pair but read so many different things about possible aggression toward each other. He/she is certainly not aggressive with the guppy that is in with him. I am in the process of setting up a new tank for him and will add more fish. It's a 29 gallon. Any thoughts on tank mates?

I think the bolivian and a school of like 7-8 neons and 5-6 cories would look awesome in a tank like that personally.

I had been thinking of some neons. I like the look of some lemon tetras or pristella tetras but I think I prefer something that stays smaller like the neons & last time I was at the aquarium they had what I guess were adult ones and they were quite a bit bigger than the neons. Another fish I like is the white cloud but I think they need cooler temps, so I think I may go with the neons.

Yea the bolivian would like it a lot warmer than the white clouds. You could probably do the lemons or pristellas if you left off the cory cats.

No the only good lfs ive found in the area is aquarium connections in Knoxville.

Back
Top Bottom