Large scale outdoor fish breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henningc

Aquarium Advice Addict
This forum is what I consider the brain trust of forums when it comes to people with diverse knowledge. So anyone with fish farm or just experience breeding semi-commercial scale numbers of barbs and tetras please help me.

I've been told you spawn the fish indoors and transfer the fry, or adults are spawned in large groups in small cages and the fry left to develop and told yet again that you just supply leaves and plants and fry will survive.

I have a 4 month growing season here in Missouri and have successfully spawned / produced several types of livebearers, cory cats-just tossed in the adults- crayfish and killies. This year I'd like to try some barbs and tetras but due to space limitations need to be confident I can pull it off.

All that said, please P.M. me or add to this thread. I've spawned all kinds of barbs and tetras in tanks but never on a large scale.

This is an interesting thread, I'd like to hear what you come up with. I have several large containers outside and was considering the same thing. I really think the cage method is one of the best, but have to wonder what kind of density they do this in to avoid overcrowding.

Here is what I have been told recently. Yes they breed inside and move fry. The cages are a product of my experience with livebearers. My brooder cages are 1/4" square mesh of sturdy plastic stock. I figured and was told if I condition the genders in different tanks and set up the cages so the eggs can drop through it should work. The only issue I was cautioned about is the mold factor of the eggs. That said, I'm considering doing it both ways to test it out.

Andy should shave some useful input on this subject as he as commercially bred fish for 30+ years, hopefully he notices this one. I breed egg layers outdoors as well in the summer but never really separate the fry but usually end up with a pretty good turn out because of dense planting.

Thanks for the replies. I have bred livebearers outdoors for several years and have consistently upped my yield the last two years. This year I'm looking to round out my selection by adding some additional egg layers. I think to be on the safe side I'll do cherry barbs, rosy barbs and pearl gouramis. I think I've decided to go with the indoor spawn and move method.

Anyone with additional information do tell. I will order most of my brooder stock late next month and test spawn everything prior to mid-May when we go live outside.

Good luck. I know more about Reptile Breeding than fish, but I know color and size seems great in some outdoor fish set ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Andy should shave some useful input on this subject as he as commercially bred fish for 30+ years, hopefully he notices this one. I breed egg layers outdoors as well in the summer but never really separate the fry but usually end up with a pretty good turn out because of dense planting.

Dallas is right about Andy. Maybe send him a pm and ask him to share on this thread. Also search what threads he has going. I think one is "Wigglers" that contains a vast amount of info.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Back
Top Bottom