Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Southern States
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2004, 01:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to dahamaker Send a message via MSN to dahamaker Send a message via Yahoo to dahamaker
I love Triangle Trop Fish in Durham. The only beef I've got is some items they don't provide a warranty with. That's fine, for the most part, but occasionally you do get fish that aren't perfect. The people in there are great too.

As for Raleigh, Fish Pros is good. They've got a decent selection and for the most part I like the people. Cindy is the owner and she's cool. I really like dealing with Kevin and (I can't remember his name) the big guy that deals with all the reef stuff.

Fish World is CRAP. Everytime I go in there, there are TONS of dead fish in their tanks. That goes for both salt and fresh water. Their fw plants are ok, but they focus too much on swords. Daniel is the manager and he's a nice guy, but I don't like the overall store. It doesn't help that they don't open until 2pm M-Th either. Alan is the plant guy and he's cool to deal with. FYI...anything special order is w/o warranty. I had Daniel order a Male Hystrix Ray for me. Got it in and it alread had Death Curl (for those who don't know, it is an uncurable sign of HORRIBLE water quality. Once the curl happens, generally only about 48-72 hours to live). Got stiffed on that one.

Aquarium Outfitters WAS ok in the beginning. Kurt (owner) knows his stuff for the most part, but charges WAY TOO MUCH. If you can somehow find a decent deal one time, the next time you come in there, the price is different. No consistency. I didn't mind paying extra for good advice, but I maxed out their knowlege when I got into predators and haven't looked back. I go to them as a last resort.

Most other places in the Raleigh/Cary area have closed. I'm not a huge fan of chains b/c they don't carry a decent selection.

If you are looking for saltwater or reptiles the guys to see is Brad at Pet Paradise on Leesville Rd. Cuts killer deals on both livestock and hardware.

Just my take on the lfs's. I hope to talk with you guys more!

Derek

Old 05-31-2004, 02:04 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to dahamaker Send a message via MSN to dahamaker Send a message via Yahoo to dahamaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentpreppy
Where is Aqua Escape? The closest one to me is Fish Pros on Hillsborough Street. I haven't had any problems with any of the stuff they've sold me yet.
Take Glenwood Ave into downtown. Make a left onto Peace. It will be on the left at the Capital Blvd onramp.

Derek

Old 06-02-2004, 03:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmmm, pretty sure that Aqua Escape changed to Aquatic Creations.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:28 PM   #14

possibly....I don't go downtown that much. The last time I saw (circa 2months ago) I think it was still aqua escape. Don't bet the house on that one, but pretty certain.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry 'bout that, i got confused and thought that you were talking about North Raleigh. We have an Aquatic Creations here!
Old 06-02-2004, 04:38 PM   #16

where in North Raleigh is that? I've never seen it
Old 06-02-2004, 04:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is close to the Old Matress Factory. Well, maybe North Raleigh isn't the right word. Do you know the intersection of Durant and Honeycutt? If you go up the steeper hill you will pass the neighborhoods of Devon and Sheffield Manor(I think) keep following the road. I think those are the right directions. It is really hard to tell the exact directions.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:08 PM   #18

are you thinking Animal Zone? That was at the corner of Durant and Falls (just up the hill you were referring to). They closed that location and are now out at Wakefield. I didn't think they changed their name, but I haven't been out there.

That guy just got in trouble having too big of a store with too little interest.

I thought I had been everywhere in Raleigh. I may be wrong.

Where in NC are you?

Derek
Old 06-02-2004, 05:27 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

No, animal zone closed.
I am right next to the shopping center. just a sec...
Old 06-02-2004, 05:28 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nevermind, couldn't find it on citysearch.com. But i am positive that is exists.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com