LFS's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well guys, I only use three LFSs, and frankly, they are the only good ones I know of. They are PetLand (gboro), Aquamains (gboro), and Aquarium Shop (gboro)

Know any others?

I'm sorry to say that we don't have any decent stores in my area. I usually go to petsmart or walmart for fish and mail order everything else. The walmart nearby does a really good of keeping up their tanks. I really wish their was a place to buy plants in my area. Petsmart usually only has a few varieties and as for everyone else their plants allways look one step away from death.

Well, maybe i could send you some clippings some time, in the summer when the temp looks good and high.

I know there is now a LFS in Raliegh called Aqua Escape, the owners are the nicest people you will ever meet.

Where is Aqua Escape? The closest one to me is Fish Pros on Hillsborough Street. I haven't had any problems with any of the stuff they've sold me yet.

d9hp-Do you get to Winston-Salem at all? I can let you know of what's here.

Are you FW or SW?

Dan-

e-mail if you like- :) .

In g boro there is a store called aqua man. the store and staff are great!!! I only wish it wasn't 4 hours away. If anyone is making a trip to myrtle beach there is a store called sea critter depot that i love!!!!! Bruce is the owner and he and his wife are by far the best lfs ive ever seen! The prices and selection make it worth the trip and Bruce is always on hand to give a helping hand. I think they even give you a discount if you say you traveled in so try and give them some business :!:

Tanked, where in NC are you? Triangle Tropical Fish in Durham has a nice selection now. I had gone in originally when they had just moved the store and wasn't that impressed -- but it has gotten much better since they've fully moved in!

I also can provide clippings now and then.

I love Triangle Trop Fish in Durham. The only beef I've got is some items they don't provide a warranty with. That's fine, for the most part, but occasionally you do get fish that aren't perfect. The people in there are great too.

As for Raleigh, Fish Pros is good. They've got a decent selection and for the most part I like the people. Cindy is the owner and she's cool. I really like dealing with Kevin and (I can't remember his name) the big guy that deals with all the reef stuff.

Fish World is CRAP. Everytime I go in there, there are TONS of dead fish in their tanks. That goes for both salt and fresh water. Their fw plants are ok, but they focus too much on swords. Daniel is the manager and he's a nice guy, but I don't like the overall store. It doesn't help that they don't open until 2pm M-Th either. Alan is the plant guy and he's cool to deal with. FYI...anything special order is w/o warranty. I had Daniel order a Male Hystrix Ray for me. Got it in and it alread had Death Curl (for those who don't know, it is an uncurable sign of HORRIBLE water quality. Once the curl happens, generally only about 48-72 hours to live). Got stiffed on that one.

Aquarium Outfitters WAS ok in the beginning. Kurt (owner) knows his stuff for the most part, but charges WAY TOO MUCH. If you can somehow find a decent deal one time, the next time you come in there, the price is different. No consistency. I didn't mind paying extra for good advice, but I maxed out their knowlege when I got into predators and haven't looked back. I go to them as a last resort.

Most other places in the Raleigh/Cary area have closed. I'm not a huge fan of chains b/c they don't carry a decent selection.

If you are looking for saltwater or reptiles the guys to see is Brad at Pet Paradise on Leesville Rd. Cuts killer deals on both livestock and hardware.

Just my take on the lfs's. I hope to talk with you guys more!

Derek

agentpreppy said:
Where is Aqua Escape? The closest one to me is Fish Pros on Hillsborough Street. I haven't had any problems with any of the stuff they've sold me yet.

Take Glenwood Ave into downtown. Make a left onto Peace. It will be on the left at the Capital Blvd onramp.

Derek

possibly....I don't go downtown that much. The last time I saw (circa 2months ago) I think it was still aqua escape. Don't bet the house on that one, but pretty certain.

Sorry 'bout that, i got confused and thought that you were talking about North Raleigh. We have an Aquatic Creations here!

It is close to the Old Matress Factory. Well, maybe North Raleigh isn't the right word. Do you know the intersection of Durant and Honeycutt? If you go up the steeper hill you will pass the neighborhoods of Devon and Sheffield Manor(I think) keep following the road. I think those are the right directions. It is really hard to tell the exact directions.

are you thinking Animal Zone? That was at the corner of Durant and Falls (just up the hill you were referring to). They closed that location and are now out at Wakefield. I didn't think they changed their name, but I haven't been out there.

That guy just got in trouble having too big of a store with too little interest.

I thought I had been everywhere in Raleigh. I may be wrong.

Where in NC are you?

Derek

Back
Top Bottom