Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Southern States

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to Sfuentes125
Looking for Crystal Red Shrimp in Central TX

Hi all,
I've got the dwarf shrimp bug.
I love my ghost shrimp at home and I have a cool long cylinder clear vase at work already planted and cycled and looking for some crystal red shrimp for it.
It holds about 2 gallons and plants are doing well. They will be the only inhabitants.

1st - Does anyone within my state care to sell some? 2nd - Has anyone heard of using marine iodine to help young molting shrimp? I read that in an article online.
Thanks for any help.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I am not sure I would keep CRS in a tank that small. They are so sensitive to changes in temperature and water quality, I am afraid they might not last long. They almost certainly would not breed in a tank that size.

I think RCS would be a good choice, however... just my 2 cents.

If you decide to go with them anyway, I have had excellent luck using aquabid.com and ebay.com for all kinds of shrimp, including CRS.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply and tip on font size. oopsy. Okay so, I should look for what minimum size tank for CRS ownership? Would a 10g be large enough?
Thanks again.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

10g would be great for CRS. I keep them in a 5.5, which is about as small as I would go for CRS. Any of the neocaridina species though like RCS could do very well in even smaller tanks.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Red cherry shrimp look awesome too really bright colors, they would reproduce like crazy in that tube too i think it's a great idea
Old 04-19-2011, 11:22 PM   #6

I'm thinking now that I will recycle the old Glass umbrella stand instead of the vase. Like a mini commercial aquarium. Anyone been to "the Aquarium" downtown Houston? Awesome!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #7

There is a member of my local forum the dfw fishbox that raises crs, cherry shrimp, green shrimp. blue pearl shrimp, black crystal red shrimp and blue tiger shrimp. He is in the DFW area. His name is Jax and can be contacted through the dfw fishbox forum.

Tags
crystal, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com