Poll do you buy your livestock locally or online?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will start things off. I have bought most things from my LFS. Its called Exotic Underworlds and it's here in Savannah. They are pretty much the only decent store going here. Fortunatly they are knowledgable and have excellent Livestock and products! I have never gotton a sick fish from them thus far!
I did buy my live rock and base rock online due to it being a great deal cheaper. I got mine from reefer rocks.com. Great experiance buying from them absolutly no problems.

Most of the time I buy on line the nearest LFS doesn't ever have anything. I have gotten the sps bug and he never has those. I usually trade xenia and green pocillipora to him for food or some dry-goods.

Scince my tank is mainly done now. I get stuff online and from LFS depends on the price and my budget. I was suprise to learn of the deals you can online alot of the times I just cant justify spending twice as much at my LFS. I am lucky enough to have a place to get RO water salt and fresh and I am very very happy to not have to deal with mixing salt water saves me a lot of headache!I have just learned to mot be so impulsive and search out the best deals!

Thats for sure. I do have alot other stuff for trade or sell if you are interested. I'm around 1 hr drive from you.

I am new to this whole fish thing, so I have been buying products from my local Pet Smart. LOL But after my initial time dealing with them, I don't ask for them for help. And when they approach me asking if they can help, I tell them that they probably can't. I'm so awful. I know they must think I'm a snot, but really I don't think they know anything about fish.

Are there particular online stores anyone might recommend?

There are many online resources and they are usally cheaper even if you factor in shipping. At least this is so for salt water. I belive pet smart has some good deals as far as equipment goes as long as you know what you are looking for, as you said. I even bought my QT tank at Wal - Mart LOL. Sites I like are often refered to here on AA.
Dr. Fosters is a great resourse as it usally has detailed descriptions of products though they are not always the cheapest at least you can get a idea of what you want and how it works. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/shop.cfm?siteid=6

Marine Depot is another good one http://www.marinedepot.com/homepage.asp

One of members here on the GA forum runs Captive Corals online

Also reeferrocks is a great place for live rock HTH

I know some of these woulnt help you with fresh water but hopefully some one will chime in with some online fresh water site if not I will look some up for you!

Thank you! A fast reply too! I sent some kudos your way. :) I will browse around and see what I can find.

As for Wal-Mart, I think I am going to get a bigger tank next year from there. I heard you can get the whole sets pretty cheap there. I have a feeling this 10 gal won't keep me satisfied for long. I already feel addiction settling in! LOL

I would buy a 75 gal if you intend to do salt-water. Walmart does not sell that size tank just a 55 gal. and walmarts stands are made out of particle board. I would buy the bigger tank from Petsmart. I think they were pretty reasonable on their set-ups.

Thank you very much Kerrinne! That is so nice of you!! Wal - Mart is great for cheap FW stuff and even for SW stuff like nets ect... You are likely right about the addiction setting look out or youll be putting tanks everywhere there is wall space lol. My only advice would be to get the filter and mechanical equipment elsewhere where they have warrenties to protect your investment!! I would hate to hear that you had a broken filter!! Wait till you get the SW bug then your in for it lol!! Let me know if you cant find anything online for FW I am happy to assist in the search!
Great advice on the stands Znut! I had no idea

I used to buy my fish from PetSmart...but then I found a little petshop in Tyrone...They take such good care of their fish! It's a fairly new place, but they have a pretty nice selection and they can pretty much special order anything for you! I make a trip out there just about every week because I love looking around and the owners are super nice!

Everything that is in my tank came from a LFS called "Q's Fish School" I don't go anywhere else because the owner of the store handpicks all of his coral and fish to make sure they are healthy.
http://www.qfishschool.com/

this is my tank
attachment.php

aaahhhh I can't get the pick thing to work here, and I can't edit to get rid of the mess up either.....

The petstores! Internet shipping is expensive and you can't see what the fish will look like exactly. I go to petsmart and pesupermarket. I also rarely go to "the Fish Store And More" in buckhead since its like an hour away from me. Theres this one cool fishstore but I don't know the name, but they have a macaw and some rare fish.

So far LFS but I'm probably going to order my plants online, since there's not much local that looks worthwhile.

Good lfs to buy from.

There is Atlantis Aquarium in Marietta. The address is 3125 Roswell Rd. These guys represent the difference between fish stores and pet stores. Yes, they are the one with the macaw. They are a little on the expensive side but you will appreciate their quality and their quantity. Salt, brackish,freshwater and plants. they have a little bit of everything. Community, semi, or aggressive. My tank is aggressive so there are not many stores that cater to me unless I go online but not these guys. Ever been to your lfs and saw three different kinds of pike? Or what fish store is not sold out of electric blue dempseys?When you first walk in you'll see a 400 gallon african cichlid(I forget which lake)tank about seven feet tall and about 18" deep-so cool. It's definitely worth a visit. Just prepare to be warm because the temp inside get uncomfy after20 mins. of browsing.

Back
Top Bottom