Tap water too warm in Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a 75 gallon, 28 gallon and a 20 gallon ISO. They water temp is 74-76

I prefer to do all my tank cleanings in a day but the water coming out of the tap is in the 80's

At the moment I mostly have danios, tetras and Cory's so I'm not too happy about raising their temp.

My only option (as I see it) is either ice in the water to get the proper temp (sounds impractical).

Or change my tanks on different days. I keep 15 gallons of treated room temp water on hand for tank changes. So if I cleaned tanks over 3 days I could use room temp water.

Any better options?

Increase the amount of treated water sitting at room temp? Up here in Montgomery, I have the problem of it starting out too cold, but after a couple of minutes it warms up. Depending on how big a change your doing, it shouldn't matter to much. How about splitting your room temp water between the three tanks, using it to "buffer" the temp? A couple of degree temp shouldn't hurt.

I have a small tank so this probably won't help too much but during the ridiculous summer months I store a container of treated water in my deep freezer for a while and then add it to my hot treated tap water later. I leave it out so it blends together (in the house) and then add it to the tank. Huge pain in the butt, but it works.

Back
Top Bottom