Tell us about yourself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clownin around

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am so excited to have more members in the GA forum! Welcome all new members! Tell us about yourself and your fish friends. Include tank pics and/or pics of yourself if you have them! Look forward to discussing local issues and trading as well as meeting others who are Aquarium Addicts here in GA!!

saying hello to all

I have one tank its a 58 gal Oceanic Show Tank. My tank has been up for about 3 and half months now. I had absolutly no idea what I was doing when I started and I am learning more and more everyday! If it wasnt for AA I most likely woulnt have had anything that lived. lol. I live out on the Islands in Savannah GA my real name is Susan Snapp. Inside my tank resides many snails, a coral banded shrimp, two false percs aka clowns, a lawnmower blennie, and a yellow tang. I have one coral a star polyp coral. I have a shallow sand bed and approx 85 lbs of live rock. I use a wet / dry filter and a protein skimmer to keep my tank clean!
I have no kids but I have the tank and a 4 month old Wiemaramer puppy to take care of !
Well thats me !

Clownin, that's an incredible tank!!! I love the rock!!

I'm from MD originally, but have been a georgian for the past 13 years LOL. I live in Kennesaw, which is near Marietta for those unfamiliar. I have two tanks, both of which were "orphaned/donated" My first is a 10gal, the most recent a 15gal eclipse setup. The 10gal houses a lil bristlenose Plec my mother so affectionately named "Kirby" after her vacuum cleaner, Kirby shares his space with 6 thus-far un-named Diamond Tetras.

The 15 Houses 1 Gibbiceps Pleco named "Gibby", and two Tiger Barbs, Porkchop and Hamhock (they're kinda big LOL) I was told Gibbys are supposed to stay small at the petstore, well, came home and did some nosing around and found up to 24"!! 8O

Soon to come: Another "donated" tank, which is 30gals, 1 large plec, a few balas, the rest unknown. The 15 and 30 are mature healthy tanks, so cycling has already been handled. The 10 has been a prob child, but I'm gettin it together.

Other interests/hobbies: Motocross (wanna come ride?? :mrgreen: ), Mustangs, Movies, and sleep LOL

Thanks for the invite,

Rob

Hi, everyone! I'm Heather from down in Newnan, GA. Though I go up to Kennesaw to visit my boyfriend on ocassion, so I am familiar with the area there. I am a single mother of a three and a half year old girl.

I live in a basement apartment and have huge goldfish and koi in two ponds with waterfalls just outside my front door. :) My dad built them there, though the koi are too large. So he's building a moat...erm...I mean a big pond out front for them. It just looks like a moat right now.

I have a 10 gal freshwater tank with some sort of HOB filter. LOL Please don't ask me to remember what kind, I just know it has a bio wheel and it's a mini. this is all so new to me. I have a 50 watt heater, and a bunch pf plasticy plants with blue gravel to appease my daughter's want of her favorite color in the tank.

We currently have two tetras (not sure of the type..they are silvery - larger than cardinals and glowlights with black on their tails) and a golden chinese algae eater. I'd like to get some more glowlights and cardinals when my tank is done cycling and will no longer drop them like flies. :( We lost four cardinals and three of the silver ones last week, because no one told us anything about having an aquarium! That's how I found this place. Fortunately in time to save some of my fish, I hope.

But I have the bug now, and I am eye balling a larger tank for after Christmas. hehe Can't wait to meet more people in our state who love fish!

Thanks for the compliment on the tank Mr502go!! Glad to have you here!
Mustangs as in horses or cars? Motocross sounds scary I prefer horses lol but I am impressed with the guts it takes to participate in that sport!

I think the tank looks great too clownin around. My name, as you might have already guessed, is Logan. I live in Cisco, Ga although Chatsworth is the closest thing that passes for a town. Cisco is 1 1/2 miles north of nowhere :mrgreen: . I'm 35, have three daughters ages 13, 10, and 7, a pit bull named Sugar, a chihuahua named Mitzi, a Bearded Dragon named Zeus, and a mutt of unknown origin named Buttons. I drive tankers for a local chemical company and do aquarium maintenance during my off time. I have 6 SW tanks and 1 FW tank with three more in the works. One is a 20 high reef with assorted soft corals, a Bangaii Cardinal, an Ocellaris Clown, and a fire shrimp. There is a 29 gal that houses a Green Spotted Puffer, a small snowflake moray, and another small moray that hitched in on the rock...not sure what he is. There are 4 coral propagation tanks with a variety of soft corals and zoanthids along with a few damsels. There is a pretty generic FW 55 with a few rainbows, barbs, and corys. I have a 110g sitting in the hall that I haven't really decided what to do with yet although it will probably provide a home for the eels and the puffer. I'm working on a 6' acrylic coral tank and I have a 30g breeder that will be set up for corals as well. I'm working on setting up a greenhouse to raise the corals in, but that will come along in the future. I have a website called Captive Raised Corals. That is also a work in progress. My wife, Kymme, tolerates all this with the patience of Job...I would've thrown me out of the house a long time ago. I don't really have any other hobbies. I enjoy doing almost anything with the kids. I also enjoy the rare evening when there's time to sit on the porch with Kymme and the dogs and just do nothing.

LOL, Mustangs as in cars :) Chances are, if ya have to put gas in it, I probably like it!! LOL

Kinda funny mentioning the guts thing, I think it takes quite a bit of guts to ride a horse. I get queezy on something that has a mind of its own, and can take off in any direction, however fast it pleases LOL. I tried riding horses years ago, I did enjoy it, oddly enough, MX just seemed so "natural" for me.

I'll have to edit (shrink) my tank pics and get them up here LOL.

I suppose you are right. Guess we just dont think of things we love like that. I suppose one could say putting your hand in a tank full of things that sting and bite is gutsy to lol. I just had to sell my 65 pony about 6 months ago didnt have the time for it any more, Either my friends or I were out tinkering with it to keep it up and running right. Sold it to a fellow who wanted it for restoration! Hope to see it when its all prutty again! Mihov Freeware is a simple way to resize you photos! It will also change formats for you. For example this forum site will not accept bmp. images so it will change them into jpeg. Cool free program if dont have anything like that! Look forward to seeing the pics!!
Loganj glad to have you here and really really nice to have a local source for coral ! My arnt' we lucky here in GA!! Your tanks sound spectacular!! If you and Znut Reefer got your tanks together it might be called the GA Aquarium and you could run tours lol I just have my one little 58 gal. SW Thanks for the compliment on it though!

OMG, I went to Aquarium Showcase today. . . that place is AWESOME. The people there are super helpful, especially a gentleman there name Brian. He seems to really know his stuff, and I know has maintained a 700 gal tank of somesort. I don't know if it's his or not, anywho, quite knowledgeable, he used to be a distributor for some aquarium equip company, and is familiar with a lot of fish stores. It was really neat to get his ideas on things. He explained all about the different kinds of buffers, their pros and cons, explained about gram negative and positive bacteria. Something interesting. . . nitrosmonas and nitrobacter are gram positive, hence anti biotics that kill gram negative critters are safe for bio filters!!! How kewl is that!!! I was tickled to death. Anywho, if you are ever up by windward pkwy/hwy 9, check this place out!!!!! It reminded me of a museum the way things were laid out, the tanks were BEAUTIFUL their fish looked very very well kept.

There was one poor lil guy tho. . . he is a common plec in one of their tanks. . . healthy enough, but badly deformed because he was kept in a 10 gal all his life, so his growth was stunted, and his body his badly deformed, poor lil guy, I felt sooo bad for this poor little fish. I really with the idiots at Petsmart that sell commons to people with 10gals could see that fish, then maybe they'd think before they open their mouths. All those poor little fish. :cry:

I guess I should sign in :)

I'm from Newnan (Senoia actually), GA, but am now residing in Smyrna/Marietta. I'm 21, married, and quite happy with my life ;) I've got a nice co-op job in my field of study, and earn just enough money to maintain this rather money-hungry hobby of mine :)

I'm currently maintaining 7 tanks, all fresh water. My 90 gallon is a mix of Malawi african cichlids, with two black mystery snails and common pleco as janitors. My 75 has three baby Albino Tiger Oscars with another pleco. See my signature for my 29 gallon ;p .. I've got two 10 Gallons, one is a guppy breeder just starter and another has goldfish. I've got a 3 gallon neon tetra tank at work. My 20 gallon is going to have lake tang cichlids, little shell dwelling guys :) But I'm having trouble finding them at the moment, all the online shops are out.

Anyways, pictures of my tanks can be found at http://slinky.no-ip.org/~ferret/fish-images/ ;p They aren't the best, I've got a two year old camera that I can't focus worth anything :)

I'll chime in also. I'm originally from everywhere. :D Military brat so I gree up in DC, England, Italy and ND. I currently live in Douglasville which is west of ATL.

I'm a cichlidite! Im actually getting out of the hobby due to money problems (posted in classified) but I had the following.

20 or so tanks from 55g to 10g and I've kept everything from salt to fresh.

I have about 10 species af cichlids as well as some killies, corydoras barbatos, corydoras meleni and who knows what.

Mr502go where is that place up close to where live, just so I know where to start hunting on the map for Hwy 9. Do they do SW too? So exciting to here of a good LFS!!
Ferret good to have ya here! Your pics arnt bad at all and your tanks are so pretty!!

Hey Clownin, sorry it took me sooooooo long to reply, just got my new bike!! Will be two weeks this thurs!! :-D Soo, I've been playin in the dirt as much as possible, and cleaning it about as often LOL. I know you're wondering NOOOO I DIDN'T FORGET TO FEED THE FISH. LOL hahaha Anywho, Aquarium Showcase is just north of windward parkway and Hwy 9 on the left, it's in a red brick building, right after you pass the eckerds drug, keep your eyes peeled, the storefront is kinda small, and easy to pass. I'll prolly go up there, not this sat, but the following, if ya wanna go PM me, and you can follow me up there from work (get off at 2 on Sat) Anywho, you will LOVE that place!!! Thanks for not forgettin me LOL, I know I've been pre-occupied for a while. :mrgreen:

totally missed this post Mr502go. I am so sorry I would have gone too!! Would have had to roust my husband out from in front of the TV but I would have loved to have seen the store. :( I will have to get there on my own! Bout how far is it from Savannah? Glad you remembered to feed the fishies!! I really need to figure out how to split threads as we seem to have different threads in one here lol. \
Thanks for the invite!!

LOL, tis kewl, I actually ended up not going, I didn't hear a reply, but I'm working not this saturday, but the following, and I may head up there after work again. Soo, if ya wanna go, lemme know. :)

Like davoz, Hello my friend, I too am a military brat.
Ohio, Virginia, Alabama, and finally Tennessee.
Been keeping fish for 24 years.
Currently have 7,000 gallons going looking to expand that to 15,000 by years end of 2004.

1500 gallon in ground pond
Two 1500 gallon cattle watering troughts- lilies, irises, goldfish and koi for now, tropicals come April
Many 100-150 gallon cattle watering troughs and kiddy pools
About 600 gallons in glass currently.
I wil be building a thousand square foot fish house starting in March.

Progress so far, some of the stock here, and pics of family and friends can be found at

http://www.dinosfishhouse.com

Best,
dino

Hello all! Another Newnan resident here. My name is Amanda and I've lived in Newnan for 6 years. The longest I've lived anywhere due to being a miltary brat. I've been keeping fish since I was 12 or so. That means like....9 years or something like that. I took a long break from keeping them until I HAD to have another tank. So here's what I currently house:

55 gal FW
10 Tiger Barbs
6 Rosy Barbs
1 Albino Red Finned shark
1 Rubber Lipped Pleco
2 Skunk Loaches

10 gal FW
1 Betta
2 Zebra Danios (left over from cycling)
7.6 Snails (not sure of exact #)

So that's it for me!

Back