Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Southern States
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2013, 01:04 AM   #61
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I am back and I got my 20 gal back. Also have two 10 gallons I had when I was married, they were drained and not cleaned and been sitting for 5 years so I gotta get them cleaned up and do something cool with them!

20 gal planted-1 Dwarf Puffer, 1 South American Puffer, 2 Red Eye Tetras, 2 Serpae Tetras, 2 Siamese Algae Eaters, and some random ghost shrimp meant as food. Have 2 ten gallons empty so help me decide (maybe Betta and ADF and a shell dwelling Cichlid tank. Open to suggestions) Visit my T-shirt store http://www.moronsarefunny.spreadshirt.com
Tabbykat9698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:10 AM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

Middle TN here... Dickson - Lyles area

Old 02-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #63
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Murfreesboro

I'm a new member (and a new hobbyist) in Middle Tennessee. Where can I find a black lyretail molly?
Old 02-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn W. View Post
I'm a new member (and a new hobbyist) in Middle Tennessee. Where can I find a black lyretail molly?
Try aquatic critter off Nolensville Rd in Nashville
Old 02-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #65

Black Lyretail Mollies!

I found my lyretails at (drumroll, please) ...Petco! The clerk said they don't always have them (the mollies were not listed on the website). I know I am still cycling my tank. (I have "newbie" in big flashing letters on my forehead.) So, I decided cycling a tank with 8 would be just as difficult as cycling with 6. In addition to the lyretails, I bought the API test kit and changed out about one third of the water when I got home. The ammonia level was 1, the nitrites were 5 and the nitrates were 60. I added Prime and Stability to the water that I replaced. I also bought a couple of Bio Balls. So far, everyone is swimming around and doing well. I realize I may be in for the long haul--changing water once or twice a day, etc. I may still have some fish fatalities. For now, my newbie mistakes have not killed any of my fishy friends.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my first tank i set up was a live cycle and the danios did well untill late in the cycle phase several started dying. I probably let the amonia get too high trying to get the Nitrates to start up.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:04 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice Activist

I need help--does anyone have experience trimming puffer teeth? I have a South American Puffer with overgrown teeth. I've messaged the Tennessee Aquarium, they are supposedly looking for a vet in my area that has experience. They told me to also contact the zoo. But do any of you know of anyone?
20 gal planted-1 Dwarf Puffer, 1 South American Puffer, 2 Red Eye Tetras, 2 Serpae Tetras, 2 Siamese Algae Eaters, and some random ghost shrimp meant as food. Have 2 ten gallons empty so help me decide (maybe Betta and ADF and a shell dwelling Cichlid tank. Open to suggestions) Visit my T-shirt store http://www.moronsarefunny.spreadshirt.com
Tabbykat9698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #68
Aquarium Advice FINatic

wow, I have no help for ya there Tabby, I hope that you get it resolved quickly though.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #69

Update from Murfreesboro Newbie

[I hope I am doing this post correctly. All I saw was a "reply" button, but this is really a new thread and I didn't see that option.]

I just posted my update on the Getting Started board. Mainly I just want to let my Tennessee neighbors know that none of my 8 fish have died. (At least, NOT YET! I hope this doesn't jinx my tank!) Tomorrow is the end of Week 3 and cycling with fish-in has finally gone into full swing. (Ammonia is usually between 3 and 5 when I check it in the afternoon. I do a PWC of 25 - 50% and the levels come down to 1. When I replace the water from the tap, I am putting Prime in it to condition the water. I know that adding Prime lowers the Ammonia, but I hope this is an acceptable practice since my fish are in the tank. I am doing the water changes once or twice a day. No NitrItes for the past week and NitrAtes are around 5.

I am getting used to the API test kit, but I had a hard time, at first, reading the colors. I wish there were a kit that gave you a reading in numbers, not colors. Still, I am getting better.

I am enjoying myself so much that I bought a 29 gallon tank with all the amenities. Then I was practically given a 10 gallon tank ($10 for the whole thing. I just had to buy the hood / light.) I am cycling these tanks without fish.

Anyway...Thanks again for all the words of welcome and encouragement!

P.S. I reread the Wardlaw Fin Facts booklet we got in 1990 when we first set up the 20 gallon tank for the kids. The booklet said nothing about cycling. (I didn't think I remembered doing it back then.) Is cycling the tank something that has only been recommended in recent years? (Okay, I am showing my age--23 years ago seems like "recent years" to me!)
Old 03-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nashville reef keeper on board.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com